• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

SAPPHIRE HD 7950 3G No visual after Upgrade to Monterey

davidorosso

Motherboard
Apple Inc. Mac-F221BEC8
CPU
2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
Graphics
Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7950 3 GB
OS X/macOS
12.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore (Legacy)
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm using a MacPro5,1 and have been running macOS Big Sur with an unflashed SAPPHIRE HD 7950 3G GPU - no boot screen but works fine after boot. In particular, the acceleration has worked well when using Logic Pro X (I used micropatcher automator to successfully upgrade from High Sierra to Big Sur).

Yesterday, I upgraded to Monterey using the OpenCore Legacy Patcher (I had tried and failed using the guide and then followed the YouTube tutorial by Mister Macintosh). I was very happy to finally get Monterey up and running with OpenCore, after a week of trying and failing.

I used an ATI Radeon HD 5870 1 GB GPU (non-metal supported) for the process, so that I could see what I was doing. This works very well with the help of the OpenCore Beta Blur for nearly everything.

However, Logic Pro X's more advanced processes need a metal supported GPU, so my plan was to reconnect the SAPPHIRE HD 7950 to overcome that problem.

Unfortunately, the Sapphire HD 7950 is no longer working on the MacPro5,1. After the startup chime, and after even 10 minutes of waiting, the screen stays black. I wondered if I might have damaged the GPU, so I hooked it up to my old MacPro2,1 and it works fine. So, is it something to do with the upgrade not recognising the Sapphire HD 7950?

Any help to get this working in my new setup would be very gratefully received.

I'm using a MacPro5,1 and have been running macOS Big Sur with an unflashed SAPPHIRE HD 7950 3G GPU - no boot screen but works fine after boot. In particular, the acceleration has worked well when using Logic Pro X (I used micropatcher automator to successfully upgrade from High Sierra to Big Sur).

Yesterday, I upgraded to Monterey using the OpenCore Legacy Patcher (I had tried and failed using the guide and then followed the YouTube tutorial by Mister Macintosh). I was very happy to finally get Monterey up and running with OpenCore, after a week of trying and failing.

I used an ATI Radeon HD 5870 1 GB GPU (non-metal supported) for the process, so that I could see what I was doing. This works very well with the help of the OpenCore Beta Blur for nearly everything.

However, Logic Pro X's more advanced processes need a metal supported GPU, so my plan was to reconnect the SAPPHIRE HD 7950 to overcome that problem.

Unfortunately, the Sapphire HD 7950 is no longer working on the MacPro5,1. After the startup chime, and after even 10 minutes of waiting, the screen stays black. I wondered if I might have damaged the GPU, so I hooked it up to my old MacPro2,1 and it works fine. So, is it something to do with the upgrade not recognising the Sapphire HD 7950?

Any help to get this working in my new setup would be very gratefully received.
It might be possible that you have not made the post-installation well. However, for seamless operation, it is recommended to use a metal supported Card. Even low end card such as RX 550/560 should work well.

Yes, the Sapphire HD 7950 is a metal supported card. The point is that it isn't working in the macpro5,1 but does work in the macpro2,1. What can I do to get my system to recognise the Sapphire? Monterey is installed and boots fine. I ned some guidance, if anyone can help with how I might be able to make the post-installation better? I'd really appreciate it.

Yes, the Sapphire HD 7950 is a metal supported card. The point is that it isn't working in the macpro5,1 but does work in the macpro2,1. What can I do to get my system to recognise the Sapphire? Monterey is installed and boots fine. I ned some guidance, if anyone can help with how I might be able to make the post-installation better? I'd really appreciate it.
How did you complete the post-installation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Prazdroj