• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

EliteMacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Supermicro X11SPA-T
CPU
Intel Xeon W-3275 28 Core
Graphics
2xAMD RX 580 8GB
OS X/macOS
13.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore (UEFI)
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
How to Fix TSC on macOS

Overview

The TSC (Time Stamp Counter) is responsible for ensuring that your CPU is running at its correct defined speed with the correct cores count. However, on some firmware (mostly HEDT/Server and ASUS Laptops) will not write the TSC to all cores which causes a slowdown and every running process is at extremely slow speed. Due to this, when attempting a clean install, the system may enter the boot loop state. To fix this issue, you have 3 options

MethodPurposeNotes
CpuTscSyncFor Laptops
For some HEDT Systems
Automatic Sync.
No customization is required.
VoodooTSCSyncFor HEDT SystemsAutomatic Sync.
TSCAdjustResetFor Skylake X/W/SP and Cascade Lake X/W/SNeed to define threads
Customization is required.

How to Fix TSC on macOS

Overview

The TSC (Time Stamp Counter) is responsible for ensuring that your CPU is running at its correct defined speed with the correct cores count. However, on some firmware (mostly HEDT/Server and ASUS Laptops) will not write the TSC to all cores which causes a slowdown and every running process is at extremely slow speed. Due to this, when attempting a clean install, the system may enter the boot loop state. To fix this issue, you have 3 options

MethodPurposeNotes
CpuTscSyncFor Laptops
For some HEDT Systems
Automatic Sync.
VoodooTSCSyncFor HEDT SystemsAutomatic Sync.
TSCAdjustResetFor Skylake X/W/SP and Cascade Lake X/W/SNeed to define threads
Customization is required.

Last edited:
Was: The only way I can boot is using ResetTSCAdjust.efi tool on every boot or reboot. (Its a little bit of a pain!). The TSCAdjustReset.kext did not work for me on my Skylake CPU (i5-6600K).

Update:
I got TSCAdjustReset.kext to work by 1) removing all TSC-related boot-args and properly setting the IOCPUNumber in the kext (in my case it had to be 3 for the 4 threads in the CPU).

How:
"Open up the kext(ShowPackageContents in finder, Contents -> Info.plist) and change the Info.plist -> IOKitPersonalities -> IOPropertyMatch -> IOCPUNumber to the number of CPU threads you have starting from 0(i9 7980xe 18 core would be 35 as it has 36 threads total)." I used Xcode.

reference:

Last edited:
Was: The only way I can boot is using ResetTSCAdjust.efi tool on every boot or reboot. (Its a little bit of a pain!). The TSCAdjustReset.kext did not work for me on my Skylake CPU (i5-6600K).

Update:
I got TSCAdjustReset.kext to work by 1) removing all TSC-related boot-args and properly setting the IOCPUNumber in the kext (in my case it had to be 3 for the 4 threads in the CPU).

How:
"Open up the kext(ShowPackageContents in finder, Contents -> Info.plist) and change the Info.plist -> IOKitPersonalities -> IOPropertyMatch -> IOCPUNumber to the number of CPU threads you have starting from 0(i9 7980xe 18 core would be 35 as it has 36 threads total)." I used Xcode.

reference:
The final solution for me was to add the ResetTSCAdjust.efi to the Drivers folder so that it is automatically be invoked. The TSCAdjustReset.kext worked intermittently.

Not sure why you need such implementation for an i5-6600K Desktop CPU. Normally, its required for HEDT/Server and/or systems with a buggy BIOS.

Not sure why you need such implementation for an i5-6600K Desktop CPU. Normally, its required for HEDT/Server and/or systems with a buggy BIOS.
I would imagine it's the latter. I have two Skylake systems running Sonoma (MSI H110M MB (with i5 6600K) and HP 280 G2 (with i5 6500)) that both suffer this affliction and I now have the solution.

Last edited:
I would imagine it's the latter. I have two Skylake systems running Sonoma (MSI H110M MB (with i5 6600K) and HP 280 G2 (with i5 6500)) that both suffer this affliction and I now have the solution.
Could be possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jotascript