• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

MSI Z590I UNIFY - Intel Core i9-10900F - 64GB RAM - AMD RX 5700XT - WiFi/BT - Thunderbolt 4 - OpenCore

Has anyone have had luck with upgrading their OC package to 0.7.3? Mine works fine under 0.7.2, but I tried to replace the files (respective efi and kext files) - as I've done with every new OC releases. I cannot get it past the boot menu. I get a message:

OCB: StartImage failed - Aborted

If you try 0.7.3, make sure you back up your last working EFI folder.

Thanks for any tips.

Has anyone have had luck with upgrading their OC package to 0.7.3? Mine works fine under 0.7.2, but I tried to replace the files (respective efi and kext files) - as I've done with every new OC releases. I cannot get it past the boot menu. I get a message:

OCB: StartImage failed - Aborted

If you try 0.7.3, make sure you back up your last working EFI folder.

Thanks for any tips.
You also need to grab the sample config.plist and make the changes.

Reactions: btgoodwin09
Exactly what EliteMacx86 said. Someone wrote a sanity checker tool, OCConfigCompare, which I used when going from 0.7.1 to 0.7.2. I plan to use it when I get time for 0.7.3.

One issue that has cropped up for me is that periodically when waking from sleep, my input devices (wireless mouse, wired keyboard) will periodically "hang" or repeat strokes, respectively, at random intervals between half a second to a few seconds between incidents. I've found forums of folks having this issue on regular Macs and there are a variety of suggested solutions from resetting the bluetooth module to using 'blueutil' to stop/start bluetooth (which is connected via USB). Some also blame it on some security patch to safari that mucks with the location services, causing com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice to lock up, requiring one to force quite (kill -9) the process when it does (I see this a lot!). I've not found the exact fix though and when it happens, it's incredibly frustrating since it's random -- it sometimes happens on a fresh boot, so a tedious reboot isn't a fix. Sometimes a quick sleep->wake jars it out of trouble. Real PITA.

Exactly what EliteMacx86 said. Someone wrote a sanity checker tool, OCConfigCompare, which I used when going from 0.7.1 to 0.7.2. I plan to use it when I get time for 0.7.3.
This is recommend as new fixes and options are available in each OC version and parameters keeps changing. If you use OpenCore Configurator, and the version is mismatched, you'll see errors before boot picker loads.
One issue that has cropped up for me is that periodically when waking from sleep, my input devices (wireless mouse, wired keyboard) will periodically "hang" or repeat strokes, respectively, at random intervals between half a second to a few seconds between incidents. I've found forums of folks having this issue on regular Macs and there are a variety of suggested solutions from resetting the bluetooth module to using 'blueutil' to stop/start bluetooth (which is connected via USB). Some also blame it on some security patch to safari that mucks with the location services, causing com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice to lock up, requiring one to force quite (kill -9) the process when it does (I see this a lot!). I've not found the exact fix though and when it happens, it's incredibly frustrating since it's random -- it sometimes happens on a fresh boot, so a tedious reboot isn't a fix. Sometimes a quick sleep->wake jars it out of trouble. Real PITA.
Have no such issue with my build.

This is recommend as new fixes and options are available in each OC version and parameters keeps changing. If you use OpenCore Configurator, and the version is mismatched, you'll see errors before boot picker loads.

Have no such issue with my build.
I’ve done as you suggested and it worked! Thanks for the guidance.

One more question: has anyone been able to install/upgrade to the latest Monterey OS on this setup? Is it stable? Any tips or advice?

Thanks.

One more question: has anyone been able to install/upgrade to the latest Monterey OS on this setup? Is it stable? Any tips or advice?

Thanks.
Monterey is stable now. You just need to upgrade the OC and related kexts and you can proceed with the upgrade.

MSI Z590I UNIFY - Intel Core i9-10900F - 64GB RAM - AMD RX 5700XT
Hello, I am working on my setup, same motherboard as listed but with a Rocket Lake i5 CPU and an RX580 dGPU. I tried the ACPI patch for sound and used the alcid=11 with AppleACL.kext with no luck. I also tried various other IDs with similar results. System Preferences / Sound will show various outputs like internal sound but none work and do not reflect the output sources the I/O shield ports offer.
My other issue is with Thunderbolt, it works with cold boot but hot plug does not. I followed the Thunderbolt guide successfully for my MSI Z490i Unify board but using IORegistryExplorer and searching for "Thunderbolt" produces no results with this board. CaseySJ helped me enable Hot Plugging on my z590 Asus board by searching for 'PCI" instead and then changing some settings in the SSDT. That doesn't even work with this board.
How did you manage getting Hot Plugging enabled? Thanks in advance

Hello, I am working on my setup, same motherboard as listed but with a Rocket Lake i5 CPU and an RX580 dGPU. I tried the ACPI patch for sound and used the alcid=11 with AppleACL.kext with no luck. I also tried various other IDs with similar results. System Preferences / Sound will show various outputs like internal sound but none work and do not reflect the output sources the I/O shield ports offer.
This thread is especially for users having the same hardware. Consider creating a separate thread.
RocketLake build works absolutely fine.
My other issue is with Thunderbolt, it works with cold boot but hot plug does not. I followed the Thunderbolt guide successfully for my MSI Z490i Unify board but using IORegistryExplorer and searching for "Thunderbolt" produces no results with this board. CaseySJ helped me enable Hot Plugging on my z590 Asus board by searching for 'PCI" instead and then changing some settings in the SSDT. That doesn't even work with this board.
No PR files attached.
How did you manage getting Hot Plugging enabled? Thanks in advance
By creating the required SSDT edits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Magorents