• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

Titan Ridge w/ no THB_C Header (PR zip included)

TripleYoThreat

Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
CPU
i5-4690k
Graphics
Sapphire Vega 56
OS X/macOS
10.15.x
Bootloader
  1. Clover (UEFI)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi, hope all are well!
I have an interesting mix here. As per the chart in the thread for "enabling hot plug", I should have it working with single card with original firmware. I've tried with v43, v50, and the elusive v23 mentioned here.
I can't figure out what it is. It's completely recognized in Windows and so is my device, but it doesn't show up in disk management. Conversely, I do have another build with Hackintosh and working onboard thunderbolt w/ hotplug

Here is the PR for this build:

Details:
  1. Thunderbolt Chip and Family - JHL7540 - Titan Ridge
  2. Thunderbolt Vendor/Manufacturer - Gigabyte GC Titan Ridge
  3. Thunderbolt Type (Onboard or AIC) - AIC
  4. Thunderbolt AIC PCI Slot Location PCI0@0, RP05@1C,4
  5. THB_C header Availability - NO
  6. TB BIOS Settings Availability - NO
  7. Motherboard Model - NZXT N7 Z490
  8. CPU Model - i5 10600K
  9. macOS version - 10.15.7
  10. Copy of IOReg - included
  11. Kextcache output - included
Screen shots:
  • Hackintool>PCIe - included
  • System Report>PCI - included. note: I did have the card recognized here earlier, before the fw23 downgrade I believe. still shows in Hackintool however
I suppose the next idea is to flash custom fw? but it seems I would lose "Thunderbolt Hotplug with no Device Connected at Boot" according to the chart on the hotplug thread

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• New PR for NZXT Z490.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 161
Stupid Auto correct....was supposed to be Titan Ridge lol

I've tried with v43, v50, and the elusive v23 mentioned here.
And were those original firmware?
I can't figure out what it is. It's completely recognized in Windows and so is my device, but it doesn't show up in disk management.
It's very normal and it's all the driver issue as per our check. We tested more than 10 motherboards with many TB devices, adapters along with Windows and Mac.
Thunderbolt Vendor/Manufacturer - Gigabyte GC Titan Ridge
What revision?
Thunderbolt AIC PCI Slot Location PCI0@0, RP05@1C,4
The details is for Slot location, not the device address.
I suppose the next idea is to flash custom fw? but it seems I would lose "Thunderbolt Hotplug with no Device Connected at Boot" according to the chart on the hotplug thread
With no THB_C Header available on the Motherboard, you need to flash the card.

Incomplete PR files attached. The Kextcache process isn't completed.
Here are the issues.

- DTPG SSDT is missing
- Duplicate EC SSDT found.
- USB Map and USB Ports kexts are found. Use only one. USB Map is more better.

Last edited:
Yes, all 3 original firmware.
But you say with no THB_C header, the firmware must be flashed correct?

And this behavior is normal without custom firmware?

Honestly, I have purchased Alpine Ridge, Titan Ridge 1.0, and Titan Ridge 2.0, and I have all in front of me trying to get this working. Alpine I believe requires external power as the 3/5 pin short doesn't work, from what I've read. I've been using the TR2.0 mostly. 2nd slot.

DTPG SSDT, I haven't heard of that yet, is that for hotplug for the Titan Ridge? I do have one customized on HackinDrom.

Only one EC is being used, disabled via config.plist and also usbmap and USB ports both disabled as that was in effort to map bluetooth as internal and fix sleep but it didn't work so I figured I'd disable it just to remove variables while troubleshooting tb3.. Though maybe you might say usb mapping would help to reduce variables lol. If I use usbmap kext should I disable xhciportlimit kext?

Thank you so much.
Trip.

But you say with no THB_C header, the firmware must be flashed correct?
Yes, correct.
And this behavior is normal without custom firmware?
Your devices doesn't works as you don't have DTPG loaded.
Honestly, I have purchased Alpine Ridge, Titan Ridge 1.0, and Titan Ridge 2.0, and I have all in front of me trying to get this working. Alpine I believe requires external power as the 3/5 pin short doesn't work, from what I've read. I've been using the TR2.0 mostly. 2nd slot.
Well, as per our tests, we don't need THB_C Header, TB Settings in BIOS and even the USB 2.0 Header. Works without those with Hotplug.
DTPG SSDT, I haven't heard of that yet, is that for hotplug for the Titan Ridge? I do have one customized on HackinDrom.
That's a supporting SSDT for injection.
Only one EC is being used, disabled via config.plist and also usbmap and USB ports both disabled as that was in effort to map bluetooth as internal and fix sleep but it didn't work so I figured I'd disable it just to remove variables while troubleshooting tb3.. Though maybe you might say usb mapping would help to reduce variables lol. If I use usbmap kext should I disable xhciportlimit kext?
Yes.
Do you have the programmer?

Yes.
I'm stuck on this error
"Couldn't open device 1a86:5512.
Error: Programmer initialization failed."
Screenshot from 2021-03-28 20-51-00

Edit: had them send me another and it just worked

Last edited:
Yes, correct.

Your devices doesn't works as you don't have DTPG loaded.

Well, as per our tests, we don't need THB_C Header, TB Settings in BIOS and even the USB 2.0 Header. Works without those with Hotplug.

That's a supporting SSDT for injection.

Yes.
Okay! Now I've got both alpine ridge and titan ridge flashed and they show up in system report. my drive is recognized but doesn't show up in disk utility. I've tried adding dtpg ssdt and of course tbtforcepower and thunderboltreset.

alpine Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 3.01.08 PM.png alpine titan Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 3.44.29 PM.png titan

I'm sooo close!!! can't imagine what it could be

I'm stuck on this error
"Couldn't open device 1a86:5512.
Error: Programmer initialization failed."
Screenshot from 2021-03-28 20-51-00

Edit: had them send me another and it just worked
I would suggest you to use Homebrew.
Looks, like you got it done.
Okay! Now I've got both alpine ridge and titan ridge flashed and they show up in system report. my drive is recognized but doesn't show up in disk utility. I've tried adding dtpg ssdt and of course tbtforcepower and thunderboltreset.
Not showing up of drives is still a common issue when the Thunderbolt is not setup properly. Tbtforcepower and thunderboltreset isn't required with OC so far. Still tests are going on and the thread will be updated accordingly. I would also suggest you to check the card one by one and then install both when you have everything ready. Provide your new PR files to check further.

I would suggest you to use Homebrew.
Looks, like you got it done.

Not showing up of drives is still a common issue when the Thunderbolt is not setup properly. Tbtforcepower and thunderboltreset isn't required with OC so far. Still tests are going on and the thread will be updated accordingly. I would also suggest you to check the card one by one and then install both when you have everything ready. Provide your new PR files to check further.
Thank you so much. Yeah I'm using them separately, I havent been able to get either working. This is with the Titan Ridge 2.0. I cant believe its showing up as a RAID controller and still not available :/ thank you again!

Attachments

• New PR with flashed ROM.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 134

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgomola