• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

EliteMacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Supermicro X11SPA-T
CPU
Intel Xeon W-3275 28 Core
Graphics
2xAMD RX 580 8GB
OS X/macOS
13.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore (UEFI)
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
How to Enable NVIDIA WebDrivers on macOS Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma

An EliteMacx86 Exclusive Guide - This guide covers the implementation of NVIDIA WebDrivers on macOS Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma. By following this guide, you'll be able to enable NVIDIA WebDrivers on macOS Big Sur and macOS Monterey with acceleration.

Overview

Since the release of macOS Mojave, there is no Web Driver available which means GPUs that require NVIDIA Web Drivers to work, will not work since Mojave and later. The latest support for NVIDIA Architecture was NVIDIA Pascal Series on High Sierra. However, GPUs requiring no Web Driver can work up to macOS Big Sur as from Monterey onwards, Apple removed the support for NVIDIA. But with the help of OCLP, you can patch the system and can use NVIDIA GPUs on macOS Big Sur and Monterey.

QUICK INFO:
  • This solution is purely experimental and is not supposed to be used in a production environment.
  • As this solution can enable Hardware Acceleration, however, this enables only the OpenCL function and the metal function is still lacking. Applications requiring metal support may not work. See the issue reported by @Z2VvZ2Vv
  • This solution does not work on macOS Mojave and Catalina.

Requirements

GraphicsmacOS Compatible NVIDIA GPU, up to Pascal Series
macOSmacOS Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma

Compatibility

For more information on GPU compatibility, refer to the thread linked below.

STEP 1: Enable NVIDIA Graphics
If you have followed the NVIDIA Graphics Guide, you will not require this step. However, If you haven't, follow the guide linked below

STEP 2: Setup config.plist
Before you start patching, the very first step is to set up config.plist which will allow root patching on the target system and also enable the Web Drivers loading. To set up your config.plist, follow the steps below.

1. Mount your ESP.
2. Open config.plist from EFI/OC directory.
3. Set SecureBootModel to Disabled in Misc>Security section of your config.plist.
4. Go to the NVRAM section. In the UUID 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 add the following boot args under boot-args key.

Boot ArgNotes
amfi_get_out_of_my_way=0x1Disables Library Validation
ngfxcompat=1Forces compatibility via WhateverGreen
ngfxgl=1Forces OpenGL rendering
nvda_drv_vrl=1Enable Web Drivers

5. In the key csr-active-config, use 030A0000 as the DATA value for root patching.
6. Save your config.plist

STEP 3: Boot using the new configuration
Once you're done with the above steps, you need to boot with the updated configuration. Simply restart your system. It is recommended to reset NVRAM twice.

STEP 4: Patch System Volume
To patch the system using OCLP, follow the steps below.

1. Download OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP) from the download section of this forum.
2. Open OCLP and you'll see something similar to the screenshot attached below.
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 3.03.49 PM-min.png

3. Click on Settings and then select Developer Settings. You'll see something similar to the screenshot attached below.

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 7.37.43 PM-min.png

4. From the Developer Settings, select Force Web Drivers and then click on Return to Settings and then click on Return to Main Menu.

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 3.04.06 PM-min.png

5. Click on Post Install Root Patch and you'll see something similar to the screenshot attached below.
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 3.15.48 PM-min.png
As you can see, the OCLP has automatically detected what patch to apply. If the patching requirements are not met, you may notice something like this
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 3.04.29 PM-min.png
If you notice that, make sure to meet the requirements as described in STEP #2.

6. Click on Start Root Patching and you'll need to run OCLP as root. You'll see something similar to the screenshot attached below.

screen-shot-2022-06-08-at-9-44-22-am-min-png.4834

7. Click on Yes to relaunch OCLP as root. When prompted, enter your system password. You'll see something similar to the screenshot attached below.

screen-shot-2022-06-08-at-9-44-38-am-min-png.4835

Once the OCLP is launched as root, it will start patching the system volume.
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 3.17.04 PM-min.png
While the OCLP Window is open, you'll see a prompt like a screenshot attached below
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 3.17.13 PM-min.png
8. Click on OK and in a while, you'll see another prompt from OCLP like the screenshot attached below
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 3.18.33 PM-min.png
9. Click on Open System Preferences and then click on Security & Privacy

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 3.18.54 PM-min.png

10. Click on the lock button to unlock and it will prompt you to enter your password. When prompted, enter your system password.
Once the Settings are unlocked, you'll see the Allow button. Click on Allow button.
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 3.19.03 PM-min.png
11. It will prompt you to allow. Click on allow and then select restart. Your system will restart now.
12. Boot back to your System and you'll notice that now NVIDIA Graphics has been enabled and as a result, the Dock would be transparent too.

Sample Attachment

NVIDIA GTX 960 (Kepler) has been used as an example in this guide.

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 3.20.49 PM-min.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 3.20.55 PM-min.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 3.21.05 PM-min.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 3.22.10 PM-min.png

Last edited:
Reactions: halfbrilliant
please i have Nvidia GTX 1070 will work ?

Wow!! What about a 3080? I finally got a decent GPU, but sadly I just switched to Windows because I thought compatibility on Hackintosh was an absolute no-go!!

Well, RTX 3080 is not supported. Only up to the Pascal series.

Unfortunately, still a no go.
Ah, thanks for letting me know. I still have my Radeon RX 460, and I've seen that it's maybe possible to have both installed, and disable the Nvidia card for macOS? I've seen a few guides about, is there a particular one you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Ah, thanks for letting me know. I still have my Radeon RX 460, and I've seen that it's maybe possible to have both installed, and disable the Nvidia card for macOS? I've seen a few guides about, is there a particular one you recommend? Thanks in advance.
Yes, RX 460 is still compatible with the latest version of macOS. Yes, the unsupported card can be disabled.

Reactions: halfbrilliant
Hello , i ve done all on monterey , Gtx 1050 recognize on OSX but OpenCL didnt work , not working on geekbench test . Since installed firefox crash . On X99-UD4 I7 5820K GTX 1050 . Any idea ? Thanks

Hello , i ve done all on monterey , Gtx 1050 recognize on OSX but OpenCL didnt work , not working on geekbench test . Since installed firefox crash . On X99-UD4 I7 5820K GTX 1050 . Any idea ? Thanks
It's an experimental patch and not meant for production use.

Wow, fantastic

Reactions: EliteMacx86

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bekam