• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

How much free space needs BigSur have after installation and continuous usage for the operating system/apps to have optimum loading time?

Nikos365

Motherboard
Levovo V-110
CPU
intel i3 60060U
Graphics
intel Graphics 520
OS X/macOS
10.14.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore (UEFI)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
How much free space needs BigSur SSD must have after installation for continuous usage and for the operating system/apps to have a fast loading time?

I mean 512GB SSD would make any difference compared to a 128GB SSD?

How much free space needs BigSur SSD must have after installation for continuous usage and for the operating system/apps to have a fast loading time?

I mean 512GB SSD would make any difference compared to a 128GB SSD?
Depends.

Depends on your needs and what you use the system for.

I have a 200MB partition for BS with 87GB free:
Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 15.45.54.png
The used space depends on your User data and what applications you have. Example:

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 15.46.40.png

I don't have issues with 87GB free space. But once it starts filling up, you will notice the degradation and also receive warnings from macOS.

The speed question is very subjective since it depends on type of SSD, what type of Bus it's on, etc so no-one will be able to answer that for you but yourself on your system.

Last edited:
With Fresh install The system is late to respond

Depends.

Depends on your needs and what you use the system for.

I have a 200MB partition for BS with 87GB free:
View attachment 5478
The used space depends on your User data and what applications you have. Example:

View attachment 5479

I don't have issues with 87GB free space. But once it starts filling up, you will notice the degradation and also receive warnings from macOS.

The speed question is very subjective since it depends on type of SSD, what type of Bus it's on, etc so no-one will be able to answer that for you but yourself on your system.
I use sublime most of the time to save my scripts or sometimes to open pictures or quitting apps. The global task menu take time to respond Like FILE->OPEN or FILE-SAVE US
Why is that?What is the reason? I have more than 50GB storage free

With Fresh install The system is late to respond

Sorry I do not understand what that means.
Are you saying that after a fresh install, your system is generally slow to respond to mouse clicks, etc ?

Post your PR files (see last FAQ here)

literally """
The global task menu takes time to respond Like FILE->OPEN or FILE-SAVE US
Why is that? What is the reason? I have more than 50GB storage free"""

I meant the drop-down menu takes time to show options like save, save us quit... etc when click file on the taskbar

literally """
The global task menu takes time to respond Like FILE->OPEN or FILE-SAVE US
Why is that? What is the reason? I have more than 50GB storage free"""

I meant the drop-down menu takes time to show options like save, save us quit... etc when click file on the text editor

It actually depends how much data is being saved to the target disk. Moreover a few general thing which can affect the performance are

- CPU speed (thermal throttling)
- SSD (Different brand offers different speeds). You haven't indicated either you're using a SATA, M.2 or NVMe.
- Bad memory can cause slow in performance

Now, coming to the OS side, a bad configuration (for example, if PM isn't working) lags and delays are normal in such case.

Please check the files EFI. What Mac version requires less CPU power? I mean Which is among "Mohave","BigSur",Vetura" or Monterey. please check the files..Im having an
intel i3 60060U with 12GB of RAM

Attachments

• ioreg.zip
    773 KB · Views: 3
  • kextcache.txt
    163 bytes · Views: 1
Please check the files EFI. What Mac version requires less CPU power? I mean Which is among "Mohave","BigSur",Vetura" or Monterey. please check the files..Im having an

You have not provided your OpenCore EFI. Without it, it is not possible to see what/how you have configured your laptop.

Your configuration is not as per the guide.

Read here:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Szejmass