• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

How to enable AMD Radeon R9 630 on Monterey?

evilcookiemonster

Motherboard
Dell Desktop Inspiron 3650
CPU
Intel i7 6700 @3.40Ghz
Graphics
AMD Radeon R9 360
OS X/macOS
10.13.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore (UEFI)
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So I managed to install Catalina on my SkyLake Desktop. Most of the hardware works right off the bat. I used the Olarila vanilla image OpenCore to do my installation.

Display works but the display card shows up as "Display 7 MB". And there was no GPU acceleration. I did a lot of search. It looks like I need to FakeID or spoof the Device ID from 665f to 66fc to make fake it into a R9 360x. However the instructions I found are mostly pre install method. So I dont' really know where to start when I already have my MacOS running.

I even upgraded to Monterey hoping the drivers (kext) will be native on that version. But it seems not. And it's more sluggush since Monterey has more visual effects.

Hope someone can point me to the right GUIDE so I can follow how to FakeID or Spoof the card to set it up properly.

TIA,

B

So I managed to install Catalina on my SkyLake Desktop. Most of the hardware works right off the bat. I used the Olarila vanilla image OpenCore to do my installation.

Display works but the display card shows up as "Display 7 MB". And there was no GPU acceleration. I did a lot of search. It looks like I need to FakeID or spoof the Device ID from 665f to 66fc to make fake it into a R9 360x. However the instructions I found are mostly pre install method. So I dont' really know where to start when I already have my MacOS running.

I even upgraded to Monterey hoping the drivers (kext) will be native on that version. But it seems not. And it's more sluggush since Monterey has more visual effects.

Hope someone can point me to the right GUIDE so I can follow how to FakeID or Spoof the card to set it up properly.

TIA,

B
You can spoof the Device ID. It can be spoofed using DeviceProperties. You'll need to grab the path using Hackintool and you can set the value. I would suggest you to use IGPU as it's hassle-free and as it's a Desktop, a supported GPU can be added later on.

Thanks so much for your input again. I might be in computer field for 35 years but it was all windows. When it comes to Mac. I am a total noob. When you say use DeviceProperties and Hackintool, where can I find them? Is there a guide to show how to use them? Thanks again!

Thanks so much for your input again. I might be in computer field for 35 years but it was all windows.
I can understand!
When you say use DeviceProperties and Hackintool
The Device path can be obtained using Hackintool>PCIe and the DeviceProperties section is in config.plist.
Is there a guide to show how to use them? Thanks again!
Not yet. But good suggestion. Will try to document it soon.

Hi there,. Thanks so much for your insightful pointers. I managed to download hackintool and find the path as shown in the screenshot.

I also mounted the EFI Partition and go into the EFI/OC/Config.plist file. I see there's two entry under DeviceProperties as shown in the screenshot.

But I am not sure how to modify the value.

Attachments

• 16598569896046594494835291438667.jpg
    16598569896046594494835291438667.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 165985702613018524628921205945.jpg
    165985702613018524628921205945.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 165985705185859240969862073948.jpg
    165985705185859240969862073948.jpg
    735.8 KB · Views: 3
I used the PlistEDPlus for Mac to open the Config.plist file.

Hi there,. Thanks so much for your insightful pointers. I managed to download hackintool and find the path as shown in the screenshot.

I also mounted the EFI Partition and go into the EFI/OC/Config.plist file. I see there's two entry under DeviceProperties as shown in the screenshot.

But I am not sure how to modify the value.
Currently, there are no properties added. To spoof the device ID, you need to add the path and then create a Key (DATA) with the name device-id and use the Fake ID in reverse bytes. In your case, it would be 5C660000 which means 665C. In addition, you'll also need to define GFX0 in the SSDT. This may not work on Big Sur and later as I have a similar experience with AMD R7 360. The spoof worked up to Catalina.

Last edited:
Currently, there are no properties added. To spoof the device ID, you need to add the path and then create a Key (DATA) with the name device-id and use the Fake ID in reverse bytes. In your case, it would be 5C660000 which means 665C. In addition, you'll also need to define GFX0 in the SSDT. This may not work on Big Sur and later as I have a similar experience with AMD R7 360. The spoof worked up to Catalina.
Hi there, So I did more digging. I went on the OpenCore website. However it asks to create a SSDT SPOOF .dsl and compile it into .aml files. And add it to the ACPI folder. Then edit with ProperTree. I assume ProperTree, PlistEDPlus, and Xcode are all the same. Just a plist editor?

I assume when you mentioned FakeID in reverse order is if the device ID I wanted to fake is the Radeon R9 360x is 665c, the FakeID would he 0x5c, 0x,66?

However it asks to create a SSDT SPOOF .dsl and compile it into .aml files. And add it to the ACPI folder. Then edit with ProperTree.
That's also a way.
I assume ProperTree, PlistEDPlus, and Xcode are all the same. Just a plist editor?
Yes, indeed.
I assume when you mentioned FakeID in reverse order is if the device ID I wanted to fake is the Radeon R9 360x is 665c, the FakeID would he 0x5c, 0x,66?
Yes, that's right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
h23ganto