- Jul 22, 2018
- Supermicro X11SPA-T
- Intel Xeon W-3275 28 Core
- 2xAMD RX 580 8GB
- OS X/macOS
- MacBook Pro
- Mobile Phone
How to Enable AMD RX 6800, RX 6800XT and RX 6900XT Graphics on macOS Big SurAn EliteMacx86 Exclusive Guide - This guide covers implementation of AMD Navi RDNA2 GPU on macOS Big Sur.
Apple has been using a wide range of AMD Graphics Card from a long time. The good news is with the release of macOS Big Sur, version 11.4, will include the drivers for AMD Navi RDNA 2 architecture lineups, which includes AMD RX 6800, RX 6800XT and 6900XT GPU variants. This means from macOS Big Sur 11.4 and future macOS version, we can have the GPU working, as long as macOS supports it.
With such a good support for AMD GPUs, it's quite easy to get AMD graphics card working on macOS Big Sur 11.4 and later which requires only few steps. The sleep/wake function also works normally without any restarts or crashes. Also you don't need to use any helper cards or IGPU.
Before using this guide, we recommend you to perform a clean installation of macOS.
|Graphics||AMD NAVI RDNA 2|
|Kexts||Original Graphics kexts in S/L/E.|
|macOS||Big Sur 11.4 and later|
For more information on GPU compatibility, refer to the thread linked below.
HD 2000 Series Manufacturer Model Memory Size Memory Interface Memory Interface Width Metal Compatible Sierra High Sierra Mojave Catalina Big Sur Radeon HD 2350 Radeon HD 2400 PRO Radeon HD 2400 XT Radeon HD 2600 PRO...
Enabling AMD Navi RDNA 2 GPU
The next step is to enable the GPU. To enable the GPU, you need to add some changes in your configuration. Follow the steps below.
The BIOS settings has been provided in a separate thread. For more information on BIOS settings, refer to the thread linked below.
BIOS/UEFI Settings PC and Laptops (Intel/AMD) Most motherboards will work with only few changes from Optimized Defaults. Here's a Recommended BIOS/UEFI Settings for Optimal performance. The settings are valid for Intel and AMD PCs and Laptops To access your BIOS/UEFI, press and hold Delete...
Adding required kexts
The next step is to download the required kexts to enable AMD Graphics. WhateverGreen doesn't works alone. WhateverGreen and Lilu is needed together to work with conjunction in order to enable the AMD Graphics and preventing any errors.
If you're using Clover, copy both the kexts to EFI/Clover/Kext/Others
If you're using OpenCore, copy both the kexts to EFI/OC/Kexts. You'll also need to add the kexts entries in Kernel section of your config.plist
- If the kext is already present in the directory, replace them with a new version
- Do not use WhateverGreen.kext.dSYM, WhateverName.app and Lilu.kext.dSYM
- Download the latest version for better support.
- Download only RELEASE.zip file.
The next step is to modify your config.plist and add a bootflag to prevent black screen after macOS finishes loading.
If you're using Clover, navigate to Boot section and add "agdpmod=pikera" in Boot Arguments.
If you're using OpenCore, navigate to NVRAM section and under Add, add the following changes.
Restarting your System
After performing all the above steps, restart your system for the applied changes to take effect.
Verifying your Card
Look for the information of your card under About this Mac and verify the VRAM. For more information of your Card, navigate to System Information and navigate to Graphics/Displays Tab.
- If you get a black screen, make sure to update your BIOS and switch from Legacy to UEFI boot mode.
- If your BIOS has CSM option, disable it.
- If your BIOS has PCI ROM Priority, set it to UEFI/UEFI ROM.
- If your BIOS has Legacy Option ROMs, set it to UEFI/UEFI Only.
- macOS version
- Copy of IOReg
- Kextcache output
- Hackintool>PCIe Export
- About This Mac
- System Information/Graphics/Displays
- For Clover, compress EFI/Clover, exclude the themes folder.
- For OpenCore, compress EFI/OC.
- Do not include complete EFI folder.
- Put all files in a folder with your name, compress files as Zip and attach files using site attachments only.
- Do not use any external links.
The AMD RX 6800 and 6900XT from AMD are used as the example in this guide.
AMD RX 6800
AMD RX 6900XT