• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

Alienware-17R3 always requires Windows desktop first

Upgraded to Big Sur today via the desktop. After a couple of restarts, I was getting OCB errors quickly - a lot of people got the same error as I did per Google, and required an upgrade to at least 0.66 of OC. I did that and was able to complete the upgrade of the OS.

Unfortunately, the same symptoms persist, always needs a Windows Desktop restart before going back to Mac.

Sigh....

Upgraded to Big Sur today via the desktop. After a couple of restarts, I was getting OCB errors quickly - a lot of people got the same error as I did per Google, and required an upgrade to at least 0.66 of OC. I did that and was able to complete the upgrade of the OS.

Unfortunately, the same symptoms persist, always needs a Windows Desktop restart before going back to Mac.

Sigh....
Did you correct the configuration?

The 6 missing misc items here and there in the file? Sure, OC-Configurator has all green checks now, but the misc items/keys that were missing had nothing to do with framebuffer though.

The 6 missing misc items here and there in the file? Sure, OC-Configurator has all green checks now, but the misc items/keys that were missing had nothing to do with framebuffer though.
Those errors come from mismatching version of OC and editing it with the OCC. Use the latest OC and OCC and it should be fixed.

The versions were correct in OCC, it lets you select your source version, but regardless, I updated to the latest 079 version, then re-edited my config.plist file to add the additional keys/items that the current OCC said were missing or moved.

All green checks again now, same symptoms of course. After a Windows desktop launch, Mac boots great and clean to a desktop. Restart, or shut-down and then power-up to Mac again, freeze-up (don't see a panic), but I have a feeling it is panic'ing and you just can't see it on the screen. It freezes up in between scrolling text on the screen. You can tell from the screen capture that the last line can't be read because it froze at the wrong time.

Anyway, once this freeze-up happens, it will "dirty-up" the frame buffer or something, because on the next Windows start-up, the blue Window-pane with the rotating white dots, the lighting on the panel will be unstable. The left-half of the screen will be a lot darker and the right-half of the screen will be normal brightness. Windows will eventually initialize the display though, and will clear the condition. Then I have a clean desktop and free to reboot into Mac again for another "run-once" desktop.

Just about done with this though.....this has occupied a lot of my time lately, and I'm about to give up. This is aggravating and should not be, sigh. One more tidbit, the Whatever Green manual has (15) different mobile configurations for Skylake Notebook. I have 15 different config.plist version files that only differ for the 15 different AAPL platforms. With that being said, configs 2 & 5 boot the cleanest on the Mac "run-once" scenarios. A lot of the others will exhibit that behavior that Windows has to correct on bootup after a failed Mac startup, the dark/light panel lighting. So I choose to use and manipulate configs 2 and 5 since they present consistent lighting on the verbose screen. Config-5 attached here along with the screen capture of the freeze after restart attempt. Only difference for Config-2 is the AAPL entry changes for the other platform, fyi.

Thanks....

Attachments

• Post-Restart-Freeze-Capture.jpg
    Post-Restart-Freeze-Capture.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
  • config-05.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 25
The versions were correct in OCC, it lets you select your source version, but regardless, I updated to the latest 079 version, then re-edited my config.plist file to add the additional keys/items that the current OCC said were missing or moved.

All green checks again now, same symptoms of course. After a Windows desktop launch, Mac boots great and clean to a desktop. Restart, or shut-down and then power-up to Mac again, freeze-up (don't see a panic), but I have a feeling it is panic'ing and you just can't see it on the screen. It freezes up in between scrolling text on the screen. You can tell from the screen capture that the last line can't be read because it froze at the wrong time.

Anyway, once this freeze-up happens, it will "dirty-up" the frame buffer or something, because on the next Windows start-up, the blue Window-pane with the rotating white dots, the lighting on the panel will be unstable. The left-half of the screen will be a lot darker and the right-half of the screen will be normal brightness. Windows will eventually initialize the display though, and will clear the condition. Then I have a clean desktop and free to reboot into Mac again for another "run-once" desktop.

Just about done with this though.....this has occupied a lot of my time lately, and I'm about to give up. This is aggravating and should not be, sigh. One more tidbit, the Whatever Green manual has (15) different mobile configurations for Skylake Notebook. I have 15 different config.plist version files that only differ for the 15 different AAPL platforms. With that being said, configs 2 & 5 boot the cleanest on the Mac "run-once" scenarios. A lot of the others will exhibit that behavior that Windows has to correct on bootup after a failed Mac startup, the dark/light panel lighting. So I choose to use and manipulate configs 2 and 5 since they present consistent lighting on the verbose screen. Config-5 attached here along with the screen capture of the freeze after restart attempt. Only difference for Config-2 is the AAPL entry changes for the other platform, fyi.

Thanks....
Incomplete PR files attached.

Giving up or pursuing is completely your decision!

Okay, back from TDY, and decided to attack this again, with a fresh mind. Opencore v079 that was recommended a few weeks back. Config.plist files updated for the OC upgrade changes. Config-05 is for #5 on the WhateverGreen's Skylake mobile entry (0x1B190000) and Config-14 that I try every now and then is (0x1B190006). Panic files attached in the zip files that are associated with those config files being used. Also attaching IOReg save and PCIe saves.

Same scenario, Windows boot required first before a Mac Boot. Can't repeat the Mac Boot again (restart or power off and back on) without a Windows boot first to clean out the frame buffer.

Only caveat with Config-05 is that you have to REMOVE the Framebuffer patching entries or you will get stuck at IOConsoleUsers or stuck at the apple logo if non-verbose. Removing the FB patches gets me the one-time boot scenario that I'm used to.

It has to be some out of the ordinary FB patching numbers I have not seen yet on the forums. The standard ones just don't work. I do know Windows reports my dedicated memory at 128MB for the 4K display, and most of the 'standard' FB patch numbers are for 1080p displays that can't edit DVMT numbers in BIOS like I can't either.

Any help would be appreciated anyone.

Attachments

• AW17R3.zip
    688.5 KB · Views: 17
Okay, back from TDY, and decided to attack this again, with a fresh mind. Opencore v079 that was recommended a few weeks back. Config.plist files updated for the OC upgrade changes. Config-05 is for #5 on the WhateverGreen's Skylake mobile entry (0x1B190000) and Config-14 that I try every now and then is (0x1B190006). Panic files attached in the zip files that are associated with those config files being used. Also attaching IOReg save and PCIe saves.

Same scenario, Windows boot required first before a Mac Boot. Can't repeat the Mac Boot again (restart or power off and back on) without a Windows boot first to clean out the frame buffer.

Only caveat with Config-05 is that you have to REMOVE the Framebuffer patching entries or you will get stuck at IOConsoleUsers or stuck at the apple logo if non-verbose. Removing the FB patches gets me the one-time boot scenario that I'm used to.

It has to be some out of the ordinary FB patching numbers I have not seen yet on the forums. The standard ones just don't work. I do know Windows reports my dedicated memory at 128MB for the 4K display, and most of the 'standard' FB patch numbers are for 1080p displays that can't edit DVMT numbers in BIOS like I can't either.

Any help would be appreciated anyone.
Incomplete PR files attached.

For config-05, the device id is wrong. If your Device ID isn't supported natively, consider using 16190000 as a device id.

For config-14, the platform id is wrong. You should use 00001B19 as a platform id.

Still, the kexts are not in the correct sorting order.

For Dell Hardware, you must use "CustomSMBIOSGuid" which is already mentioned in the guide. In addition, UpdateSMBIOSMode should be set to Custom.

MacBook13,3 is a poor choice. Use MacBookPro13,1.

Also, is your screen 4K/UHD? If so, is the DVMT unlocked?

Too many bad assumptions on your last reply:

01) I do not use MacBook references in my configuration, all my work recently has always been MBP13,1 or MBP13,3.

02) My kext order is correct per the guide, always load Lilu first, then the other masters, etc.

03) My machine is NOT a Dell - Dell bought Alienware one year AFTER I purchased this machine. But still, this morning I assumed it was a Dell and made the SMBIOS changes you mentioned anyway.

04) Yes, my machine is the 4K UHD model which is what I have been stating from the start. All of the guide and internet references for my machine AAPL-id (191B) have 1080p display numbers in their examples, never the 4K numbers which I assume are a little different. The only info I could find for 4k was adding '-igfxmlr' in the boot arg and that doesn't help either way.

05) My DVMT is not changeable, no setting in the BIOS - Alienware would not make my life that easy, lol. If so, I would set that variable in UEFI to 96MB or 128MB and away I would go happy :)

This morning I put in your SMBIOS setting changes (true/custom/etc) and laid that change out in ALL of my config.plist variations. I even took your suggestion for MBP13,1 instead of MBP13,3. No difference at all. So here are my config variations at this point. All other WhateverGreen variations are a waste of time.

Config02 (0x00001619)
Config05 (0x00001B19)
Config14 (0x06001B19)

Config2, no Metal acceleration, always 31MB in AboutThisMac.
Variations are no good either. On the second boot when it panics, power-down and power-up are required, no courteous auto reboot done by the system.

Config5 - first boot always works, variation spoof 1619 will get you a desktop without acceleration and the 31MB setting, every repeated boot.

Config14 - first boot always works, variation spoof 1619, same deal. My machine does not like 1619 at all. I'm still not done with this config14, because in AboutThisMac, it always displays a "Revision 6" on my 1B19 resource, and this "6001B19" may have something to match up with that? Plus, it is one framebuffer connector built-in which is what my laptop is, a notebook display only. HDMI on my machine is for the NVidia GPU. I don't know what the 3rd connector is for on my configs, except for more confusion.

Config5-Try - my last attempt, taking away connectors thinking it is confusing the framebuffer. Same result, one boot great, second boot will panic and reboot. Windows boot required as usual.

After 250+ reboots in the last few weeks and all the config variations I have tried, I'm convinced it is something in the AppleIntelSKL kext that just doesn't like my machine, and something in that kext changed from HighSierra to Mojave, and whatever that change was - it has remained constant all the way up to BigSur. A few years ago when I was trying to get Mojave installed when it was the current flavor, I had the typical stuck at IOConsoleUsers problem. All the experts over at TonyMac, InsaneMac, etc could not figure it out. All of them said the same thing "your machine should be working.....", and downgrading to HighSierra with the SAME settings made it boot right up without issues.

My last ditch effort on this fiasco will be attempting to boot off of my HighSierra SSD stick plugged into a USB port. If it can do that, I will go into the System folder extensions and copy every 'SKL' kext directory and push them over to my BigSur System folder just to try and force the system to use the old SKL stuff. Might work....probably won't, but worth a last attempt try.

Just for reference, here are my CURRENT config files and variations with your suggested changes in them.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Work.zip
    32.2 KB · Views: 13
01) I do not use MacBook references in my configuration, all my work recently has always been MBP13,1 or MBP13,3.
Both config.plist had the MBP13,3 SMBIOS.
02) My kext order is correct per the guide, always load Lilu first, then the other masters, etc.
Lilu, VirtualSMC, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC must be loaded in this order. Reset depends on their dependencies.
03) My machine is NOT a Dell - Dell bought Alienware one year AFTER I purchased this machine. But still, this morning I assumed it was a Dell and made the SMBIOS changes you mentioned anyway.
FYI, Alienware is from Dell. Alienware's parent company is Dell. Alienware is just another division of Dell. And for Alienware, the same settings apply which applies to Dell.
04) Yes, my machine is the 4K UHD model which is what I have been stating from the start. All of the guide and internet references for my machine AAPL-id (191B) have 1080p display numbers in their examples, never the 4K numbers which I assume are a little different. The only info I could find for 4k was adding '-igfxmlr' in the boot arg and that doesn't help either way.
There is definitely a way which I have also used for my Dell XPS, where I did not unlock my BIOS. However, the ideal solution is either one of them. With 191B, i have driven 4K Laptops.
05) My DVMT is not changeable, no setting in the BIOS - Alienware would not make my life that easy, lol. If so, I would set that variable in UEFI to 96MB or 128MB and away I would go happy :)
Yeah, in this regard, Laptop BIOS comes with a limited option and it is not always a good option to unlock BIOS.
This morning I put in your SMBIOS setting changes (true/custom/etc) and laid that change out in ALL of my config.plist variations. I even took your suggestion for MBP13,1 instead of MBP13,3. No difference at all. So here are my config variations at this point. All other WhateverGreen variations are a waste of time.

Config02 (0x00001619)
Config05 (0x00001B19)
Config14 (0x06001B19)

Config2, no Metal acceleration, always 31MB in AboutThisMac.
Variations are no good either. On the second boot when it panics, power-down and power-up are required, no courteous auto reboot done by the system.
There was no config2 attached. Assuming that you created it today. Framebuffer patching needs to be done to drive 4K, as the memory isn't sufficient, which macOS requires, you have KP.
Config5 - first boot always works, variation spoof 1619 will get you a desktop without acceleration and the 31MB setting, every repeated boot.
As per your Profile, your CPU is 6700HQ, which has a Device ID of 191B8086, which is natively supported by SKLFramebuffer kext. So, a device id shouldn't be required here. However, there is no harm in using a supported device id.
Config14 - first boot always works, variation spoof 1619, same deal. My machine does not like 1619 at all. I'm still not done with this config14, because in AboutThisMac, it always displays a "Revision 6" on my 1B19 resource, and this "6001B19" may have something to match up with that? Plus, it is one framebuffer connector built-in which is what my laptop is, a notebook display only. HDMI on my machine is for the NVidia GPU. I don't know what the 3rd connector is for on my configs, except for more confusion.
Can you provide connectors info?

Here is a guide to find connector info:

Use, the guide for HDMI/DP/mDP/Type-C and provide the report accordingly.

Config5-Try - my last attempt, taking away connectors thinking it is confusing the framebuffer. Same result, one boot great, second boot will panic and reboot. Windows boot required as usual.

After 250+ reboots in the last few weeks and all the config variations I have tried, I'm convinced it is something in the AppleIntelSKL kext that just doesn't like my machine, and something in that kext changed from HighSierra to Mojave, and whatever that change was - it has remained constant all the way up to BigSur. A few years ago when I was trying to get Mojave installed when it was the current flavor, I had the typical stuck at IOConsoleUsers problem. All the experts over at TonyMac, InsaneMac, etc could not figure it out. All of them said the same thing "your machine should be working.....", and downgrading to HighSierra with the SAME settings made it boot right up without issues.
Whoa. So, you have issues on Catalina and later, but not on HS? Or are you using BS or later? Your profile indicates Catalina. Honestly, it can be fixed, with the experiences I have, you just have to sync to test things out.
My last ditch effort on this fiasco will be attempting to boot off of my HighSierra SSD stick plugged into a USB port. If it can do that, I will go into the System folder extensions and copy every 'SKL' kext directory and push them over to my BigSur System folder just to try and force the system to use the old SKL stuff. Might work....probably won't, but worth a last attempt try.
Well, that approach is not so positive as each kext requires the same dependency, of the same version.
Just for reference, here are my CURRENT config files and variations with your suggested changes in them.
The description is more useful here ;)

I'll provide the framebuffer soon and the instructions. Before that, make sure to backup all of your data on both the OS and have Catalina and Big Sur Bootable USB ready.

Trending Threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
segmatron