• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

Alienware-17R3 always requires Windows desktop first

sharky9

Motherboard
Alienware-17R3
CPU
i6700-HQ
Graphics
Intel HD-530
OS X/macOS
10.14.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore (UEFI)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi everyone,

I thought I would try my first post here since I haven't been able to fix my problem on the other usual web forums. I haven an Alienware 17R3 (4K-UHD) notebook that I have been trying to get Catalina to run on consistently. High Sierra was consistent before the OS drive went bad and I replaced it with this fresh Catalina build. The 'consistent' word I use is meaning that I can restart over and over, or shutdown then power-up, and the desktop will always launch.

On Catalina, I am required to boot into Windows-10 desktop FIRST, whether a power-on or a system restart. If I don't boot Windows first, I will get a panic every time I attempt the Mac boot. I've tried the majority of the Skylake AAPL identifiers, with and without their Framebuffer patching entry schemes., no luck either way. Most of them will boot the machine fine (0x1916, 0x191B, 0x191E, etc)....until you restart of course.

Any clues on this behavior? I've been at this over a week now with no success.

Here's my current config.plist, but I will also attach a variant I have worked on call config5.plist. The latter is interesting, because it will consistently restart and show the same behavior every boot without a Panic, stuck on IOConsoleUsers message and the OS thinking the desktop is good! You can remote into the workstation, reboot it and everything else, but without a working desktop (to this user anyway).

Thanks for any insight....this is aggravating to say the least.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 27
  • config5.plist.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I thought I would try my first post here since I haven't been able to fix my problem on the other usual web forums. I haven an Alienware 17R3 (4K-UHD) notebook that I have been trying to get Catalina to run on consistently. High Sierra was consistent before the OS drive went bad and I replaced it with this fresh Catalina build. The 'consistent' word I use is meaning that I can restart over and over, or shutdown then power-up, and the desktop will always launch.

On Catalina, I am required to boot into Windows-10 desktop FIRST, whether a power-on or a system restart. If I don't boot Windows first, I will get a panic every time I attempt the Mac boot. I've tried the majority of the Skylake AAPL identifiers, with and without their Framebuffer patching entry schemes., no luck either way. Most of them will boot the machine fine (0x1916, 0x191B, 0x191E, etc)....until you restart of course.

Any clues on this behavior? I've been at this over a week now with no success.

Here's my current config.plist, but I will also attach a variant I have worked on call config5.plist. The latter is interesting, because it will consistently restart and show the same behavior every boot without a Panic, stuck on IOConsoleUsers message and the OS thinking the desktop is good! You can remote into the workstation, reboot it and everything else, but without a working desktop (to this user anyway).

Thanks for any insight....this is aggravating to say the least.
A panic log can help for sure to determine what's the reason for panic. This is mostly seen on CFL Laptops due to divide by Zero. However, there is already a patch for it. On your system, if everything is good, it could be due to the Graphics framebuffer, most probably. However, you'll need to submit complete PR files including the Kernel Panic log.

Here's a copy of today's panic logs, with each try I did.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Panics-1Apr2022.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 29
Here's a copy of today's panic logs, with each try I did.

Thanks,
Well, i was right for sure. It's due to Graphics framebuffer. Provide your complete BIOS Settings (by taking a picture of all the tabs and options) along with the PR files which include the following:

- EFI
- IOReg
- Kextcache Output
- Hackintool PCIe Report

Here's most of it.....

Attachments

• aw17r3.zip
    620.2 KB · Views: 29
  • EFI.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 28
Here's the BIOS captures...it was a 'hack before, so all pretty standard here. What is the command you are looking for for kext cache output? I am unfamiliar with that one?

Attachments

• PXL_20220402_154830996.jpg
    PXL_20220402_154830996.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20220402_154843812.jpg
    PXL_20220402_154843812.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20220402_154908131.jpg
    PXL_20220402_154908131.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20220402_154854887.jpg
    PXL_20220402_154854887.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
Here's the BIOS captures...it was a 'hack before, so all pretty standard here. What is the command you are looking for for kext cache output? I am unfamiliar with that one?
The performance option is missing.

Sorry about that, here it is....both options disabled.

Attachments

• PXL_20220402_190909455.jpg
    PXL_20220402_190909455.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 29
Sorry about that, here it is....both options disabled.
The settings looks correct. Although, your configuration isn't correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeBresilien