• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

Volume extremely loud on Realtek ALC233VB2

comclusive

Motherboard
Lenovo 01LM836
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
Intel UHD Graphics 630
OS X/macOS
13.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore (UEFI)
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all,
I've got a Lenovo MT720s SFF, i5-8400 with 64GB RAM and Realtek ALC233VB2, and Ventura is working great using Opencore.

I've been playing with the sound since realising it wasn't quite working right. Initially I used layout-id 5 I think, which worked but the sound was really flat, and I realised my Logitech 2.1 woofer wasn't really woofing.
I tweaked the id until 21 worked. Too well! Out of all the layout ID's, just 2 produce sound through the speakers and a couple of others use the onboard speaker, so 21 is the best of the layout IDs, but the volume is huge. I have it on almost zero and it's loud. If I reduce the volume down on the Logi volume control it loses definition, so I'm trying to work out how to reduce the output on the config as it's really distorted and I fear the speakers would be damaged.

I used gfxutil and got PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3), so added this to DeviceProperties with the number 21 for the layout-id.

I've had a look and can't see the topic mentioned, and it's probably really simple, but I'd appreciate some pointers if anyone has some.
Thanks in advance.

1687678935013.png

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi all,
I've got a Lenovo MT720s SFF, i5-8400 with 64GB RAM and Realtek ALC233VB2, and Ventura is working great using Opencore.

I've been playing with the sound since realising it wasn't quite working right. Initially I used layout-id 5 I think, which worked but the sound was really flat, and I realised my Logitech 2.1 woofer wasn't really woofing.
I tweaked the id until 21 worked. Too well! Out of all the layout ID's, just 2 produce sound through the speakers and a couple of others use the onboard speaker, so 21 is the best of the layout IDs, but the volume is huge. I have it on almost zero and it's loud. If I reduce the volume down on the Logi volume control it loses definition, so I'm trying to work out how to reduce the output on the config as it's really distorted and I fear the speakers would be damaged.

I used gfxutil and got PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3), so added this to DeviceProperties with the number 21 for the layout-id.

I've had a look and can't see the topic mentioned, and it's probably really simple, but I'd appreciate some pointers if anyone has some.
Thanks in advance.

View attachment 6283
Try to set a medium volume on your Logitech Speakers and then adjust the volume from macOS. Also, something seems off in above screenshot. The Internal Speakers should show as Internal but when connecting a 3.5mm jack, it show as Headphones.

Try to set a medium volume on your Logitech Speakers and then adjust the volume from macOS. Also, something seems off in above screenshot. The Internal Speakers should show as Internal but when connecting a 3.5mm jack, it show as Headphones.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I've changed the volume on the speakers already and it's at about 40% which stops distortion or being too quiet, but the volume on the Mac side is practically at zero and it's still too loud.
During testing I saw the headphone icon appear but when it did there was no output from the speakers.

I booted back into Windows and the device_id on the sound says 235, not 233, so maybe I need to look at those layout-id settings next.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I've changed the volume on the speakers already and it's at about 40% which stops distortion or being too quiet, but the volume on the Mac side is practically at zero and it's still too loud.
During testing I saw the headphone icon appear but when it did there was no output from the speakers.

I booted back into Windows and the device_id on the sound says 235, not 233, so maybe I need to look at those layout-id settings next.
Feel free to update this thread accordingly.

Feel free to update this thread accordingly.
So I went through the additional IDs for the 235, and 36 gives me more control of the volume, and also shows Internal Audio and Line Out. On line out it goes to the speakers and the woofer is a little quiet, but the overall volume is hugely improved, but the icon is still a speaker.

Definitely better though!
While I was testing different IDs, on restart I had a message saying I rebooted due to an error, but that seems to have gone away now which is good. The only remaining thing for me now is to work on the Bluetooth. I have a USB BT dongle which I think may have worked initially when I installed Big Sur, but it's not now, so no BT headphone.

And apparently wake from sleep has also stopped working (black screen) since changing the ID!

All in all I'm enjoying the learning experience, and thanks for these forums!

Last edited:
So I went through the additional IDs for the 235, and 36 gives me more control of the volume, and also shows Internal Audio and Line Out. On line out it goes to the speakers and the woofer is a little quiet, but the overall volume is hugely improved, but the icon is still a speaker.
That's nice. Line out for the rear with the speaker icon is normal. Headphones is only intended for the front panel. :)

The only remaining thing for me now is to work on the Bluetooth. I have a USB BT dongle which I think may have worked initially when I installed Big Sur, but it's not now, so no BT headphone.
More details are needed. Better to create a separate thread instead.

And apparently wake from sleep has also stopped working (black screen) since changing the ID!
Whoa. That's interesting!

All in all I'm enjoying the learning experience, and thanks for these forums!
:)

Reactions: comclusive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noiguer