• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

Tracking down random Kernel Panics after Sonoma Install . Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Wrong SMBIOS selection. Use iMacPro1,1. Turn off XMP in BIOS. Do a clean install. What's the boot drive model?
Started with iMacPo1,1 but found MacPro7,1 worked better for me and 2x apple displays, with 680XT

XMP is off, I think. ram is running at 2133 now and not 3600MHz anymore. will check & disable on next crash . lol

will do a clean install this weekend.

drive is:
Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB:
Capacity: 1 TB
TRIM Support: Yes
Model: Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB
Revision: 5B2QGXA7

Started with iMacPo1,1 but found MacPro7,1 worked better for me and 2x apple displays, with 680XT
iMacPro1,1 can also have multiple displays. Not sure why people are so obsessed with the MacPro7,1.

XMP is off, I think. ram is running at 2133 now and not 3600MHz anymore. will check & disable on next crash . lol

will do a clean install this weekend.
Sounds good!

drive is:
Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB:
Capacity: 1 TB
TRIM Support: Yes
Model: Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB
Revision: 5B2QGXA7
Another shit. Use WD SN850/850X. Samsung drives have too much wear and tear due to broken TRIM functionality since Monterey. The Drives are dying at a crazy speed. Samsung is not what it used to be in terms of consumer grade drives.

Attach your EFI to ensure everything is added as expected and when you have green signals, perform a clean install and we'll see how it goes.
removed AirportItlwm.kext , and unused boot icons to trim file size to fit

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    12.4 MB · Views: 7
Another shit. Use WD SN850/850X. Samsung drives have too much wear and tear due to broken TRIM functionality since Monterey. The Drives are dying at a crazy speed. Samsung is not what it used to be in terms of consumer grade drives.
I bought a WD Black SN770 1TB it died loading windows 11 so I could make this Hackintosh . So far . fingers crossed no issues on the Samsung .

from what I researched Samsung 970 , Samsung PM981 and PM991 with the Phoenix controller were the issue.

the 980 pro uses the Samsung Elpis controller . it will become the Windows drive after I reload the MacOS - if it dies, it dies

I bought a WD Black SN770 1TB it died loading windows 11 so I could make this Hackintosh . So far . fingers crossed no issues on the Samsung .
A specific brand does not mean it would never fail.

from what I researched Samsung 970 , Samsung PM981 and PM991 with the Phoenix controller were the issue.
Except for the PM981, all other two were supported. Tested and verified at our end. The TRIM was the only issue.

the 980 pro uses the Samsung Elpis controller . it will become the Windows drive after I reload the MacOS - if it dies, it dies
xD

Do you have any reservations about using this specific drive Western Digital WD_BLACK
SN770 is not so robust model in our testing criteria. It has failed in certain tests. The only drive we recommend other than non-OEM is WD SN850/850X.

Get one from Newegg. Costs $75 today for 1TB.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintpnz