• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

how to enable wi-fi recovery to install macOS

Shibby

Motherboard
HP Probook 640 G4
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
Intel UHD Graphics 620
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore (UEFI)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, i was finally able to reach MacOS installer from OC using an image from Olarila's site (way too many ads btw and no clarity on guides) but their image EFI worked on my laptop since I cannot find much support for HP Probook 640 G4.

How do you enable wifi in installer? There is no icon in far right corner.
Is there a way to make offline installer, mount it to another USB driver and then for it to be used versus trying to update the recovery OS via internet? trying to load Big Sur. but I'll settle for Catalina or higher.
is there a guide how to do the OC recovery but use a USB macos full installer for offline full install of MacOS?

How do you enable wifi in installer? There is no icon in far right corner.

Natively supported WiFi should work OOTB or with the help of third-party kexts. As you haven't mentioned the WiFi model you're using, would you please take a moment to provide the model?
Is there a way to make offline installer, mount it to another USB driver and then for it to be used versus trying to update the recovery OS via internet? trying to load Big Sur. but I'll settle for Catalina or higher.

Yes, there is a way. You can read more about it here

is there a guide how to do the OC recovery but use a USB macos full installer for offline full install of MacOS?

Yes, you can read about it below

If you already have a bootable USB prepared (full image), you can just directly read from here

Regarding my built in wifi card on this laptop its:
Wireless: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265

as i mentioned, i was able to reach the mac boot loader using this EFI folder as my many attempts to follow OC instructions never made it past the VoodooPS2 kexts.
https://olarila.com/files/OPENCORE1/EFI.Opencore.NoteBook.KabyLake.zip
now there are a few wifi kexts here. i think they just added top 3 wifi cards.
-Realtek (removed it)
-Atheros E2200 ethernet (removed it)
-IntelMausi (one I used)
i took another snapshot of OC and thats how I reached macos installer to the point where i was able to format my internal SSD drive, then tried to run Install Ventura, and thats where I'm stuck since I have no wifi icon in upper right corner.

could it be that the wifi kext is old?
what should i try?

Regarding my built in wifi card on this laptop its:
Wireless: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265

as i mentioned, i was able to reach the mac boot loader using this EFI folder as my many attempts to follow OC instructions never made it past the VoodooPS2 kexts.
https://olarila.com/files/OPENCORE1/EFI.Opencore.NoteBook.KabyLake.zip
now there are a few wifi kexts here. i think they just added top 3 wifi cards.
-Realtek (removed it)
-Atheros E2200 ethernet (removed it)
-IntelMausi (one I used)
i took another snapshot of OC and thats how I reached macos installer to the point where i was able to format my internal SSD drive, then tried to run Install Ventura, and thats where I'm stuck since I have no wifi icon in upper right corner.

could it be that the wifi kext is old?
what should i try?

You have two options to complete the installation.

Option #1: Add the WiFi Kexts to your EFI and continue with the internet install. You can read more about it here

Option #2. Create a Bootable USB using Createinstallmedia and use the same EFI to install. However, this will require a Mac or a VMware/VirtualBox to create the USB.

So good news. The kext for wifi was not initially implemented on the image i got and i guess i got confused between the kext for ethernet vs wifi. anyways. wifi working.

just a side note I tried to replicate the EFI image from Olaria with OC files on latest version and didn't work. when it booted up i got some weird frequency loop counter and the OC menu was all weird looking. So im gonna continue with Olaria EFI since seems to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: EliteMacx86
So good news. The kext for wifi was not initially implemented on the image i got and i guess i got confused between the kext for ethernet vs wifi. anyways. wifi working.

Glad you got it working!

just a side note I tried to replicate the EFI image from Olaria with OC files on latest version and didn't work. when it booted up i got some weird frequency loop counter and the OC menu was all weird looking. So im gonna continue with Olaria EFI since seems to work.

Probably, due to poor configuration of the EFI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marremans