• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

Ethernet Compatibility List for macOS [1GbE, 5GbE, 10GbE, 25GbE, 40GbE, 50GbE, 100GbE]

The first step would be to not use the WiFi patch as the newer driver uses IOSkywalk for some of the functions. Once the Ethernet is fixed, you can move to the WiFi.

However, have not tried it on Sonoma. Hopefully, soon.

The Ethernet cards we are talking about here, i.e. those using drivers:
1) com.apple.DriverKit-AppleEthernetIXL
2) com.apple.DriverKit-AppleEthernetMLX5
available in Sonoma in the com.apple.iokit.IOSkywalkFamily package.
If we use the vanilla Sonoma system, these cards will work without any problems.
Running broadcam wifi cards like Fenvi T919 requires adding a blocking entry com.apple.iokit.IOSkywalkFamily from Sonoma:
https://elitemacx86.com/threads/how-to-fix-broadcom-wifi-on-macos-sonoma-and-later.1415/
--> "STEP 4: Block Required Kexts",
and loading IOSkywalkFamily from Ventura
--> "STEP 3: Add Required Kexts".
It causes that the ethernet cards we are talking about cannot load the correct drivers (maybe IOSkywalkFamily from Ventura does not contain them) and this additionally leads to a system crash after a few minutes. It is not possible for these ethernet cards and "modern" Broadcom cards (such as Fenvi T919, BCM94360NG, etc) to function simultaneously in the system. The only solution at this point, in my opinion, is to use legacy Wifi cards that do not require IOSkywalkFamily from Sonoma blocking, such as BCM4331 and BCM43224.
Maybe someone has another idea?
Can anyone confirm if:
are present in Ventura?
If they are not there, my reasoning should be correct.

Last edited:
The Ethernet cards we are talking about here, i.e. those using drivers:
available in Sonoma in the com.apple.iokit.IOSkywalkFamily package.
If we use the vanilla Sonoma system, these cards will work without any problems.
Running broadcam wifi cards like Fenvi T919 requires adding a blocking entry com.apple.iokit.IOSkywalkFamily from Sonoma:
https://elitemacx86.com/threads/how-to-fix-broadcom-wifi-on-macos-sonoma-and-later.1415/
--> "STEP 4: Block Required Kexts",
and loading IOSkywalkFamily from Ventura
--> "STEP 3: Add Required Kexts".
It causes that the ethernet cards we are talking about cannot load the correct drivers (maybe IOSkywalkFamily from Ventura does not contain them) and this additionally leads to a system crash after a few minutes. It is not possible for these ethernet cards and "modern" Broadcom cards (such as Fenvi T919, BCM94360NG, etc) to function simultaneously in the system. The only solution at this point, in my opinion, is to use legacy Wifi cards that do not require IOSkywalkFamily from Sonoma blocking, such as BCM4331 and BCM43224.
Well, that's right!

There is but some good time is needed.

Can anyone confirm if:
are present in Ventura?
If they are not there, my reasoning should be correct.
Yes, those two kexts are present on macOS Ventura.

Can anyone confirm if:
are present in Ventura?
As far as I know these drivers first appeared in Ventura, so yes, they are there.
I used to use Broadcom wifi that requires blocking the system's IOSkywalkFamily.dext, but I had so many problems with SIP being always disabled, I rather bought an Intel AX210 card. The latest info is that you can now run these Intel cards fine in Sonoma, and SIP can stay enabled. (But AirDrop does not work with it unfortunately.) So you don't need to load your own IOSkywalkFamily.kext either.
In my system the Intel wifi is working fine, also the Bluetooth, and the Mellanox cards are loading the default AppleEthernetMLX5 drivers OK.

In case you can't get rid of the IOSkywalkFamily patch you could try something that I have read on another forum: The beta version of Ventura contained a kext version of the AppleEthernetMLX5 driver, which you can load yourself from OpenCore along with the IOSkywalkFamily.kext. I haven't tried it myself, but it should work - of course if everything else like VT-d is also correct.

Attachments

• AppleEthernetMLX5.kext.zip
    183.2 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: EliteMacx86
I also have AX210 and it works without problems in Sonoma with both the Mellanox CX4121A-ACAT ConnectX-4 and Intel XXV710-DA2 cards. But I also wanted to have all the features available like Airdrop, etc. Hence, I wanted to have a working Fenvi T919 at the same time. I tried Ventura - there these cards work together without any problems. But this is understandable, because T919 has native support in Ventura and there is no need to block anything. I also tried the legacy Broadcom BCM94331. According to this guide:
I tried to load corecaptureElCap.kext and IO80211ElCap.kext kexts, exactly like here:
1713786765396.png
I tried this on both Sonoma and Ventura, but without success. In the PCIE device list, the card appears as a card with drivers loaded. The system assigns them the "en.." port, but that's all. It does not appear in the list of wi-fi devices, as someone shows here:
1713786824204.png
OCLP fix will not help in this case until the card is correctly recognized as a Wi-Fi device. The card is of course functional - it works properly in Windows.

Last edited:
I also have AX210 and it works without problems in Sonoma with both the Mellanox CX4121A-ACAT ConnectX-4 and Intel XXV710-DA2 cards. But I also wanted to have all the features available like Airdrop, etc. Hence, I wanted to have a working Fenvi T919 at the same time. I tried Ventura - there these cards work together without any problems. But this is understandable, because T919 has native support in Ventura and there is no need to block anything. I also tried the legacy Broadcom BCM94331. According to this guide:
I tried to load corecaptureElCap.kext and IO80211ElCap.kext kexts, exactly like here:
View attachment 7460
I tried this on both Sonoma and Ventura, but without success. In the PCIE device list, the card appears as a card with drivers loaded. The system assigns them the "en.." port, but that's all. It does not appear in the list of wi-fi devices, as someone shows here:
View attachment 7461
OCLP fix will not help in this case until the card is correctly recognized as a Wi-Fi device. The card is of course functional - it works properly in Windows.
We're working on the fix it will be updated very soon!

can you tell me if Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection will work on Mac OS Sonoma? I found it on the list but it didn't say either way/

can you tell me if Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection will work on Mac OS Sonoma? I found it on the list but it didn't say either way/
yes, Intel I211 work without any additional kexts

Reactions: EliteMacx86
Yes, as indicated by @lopess , its supported.

Thank you guys for the reply, I still can't get it to recognize it .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1qwsa