• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

EliteMacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Supermicro X11SPA-T
CPU
Intel Xeon W-3275 28 Core
Graphics
2xAMD RX 580 8GB
OS X/macOS
13.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore (UEFI)
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
How to Enable NVIDIA Graphics on macOS Monterey and Later

An EliteMacx86 Exclusive Guide - This guide covers the implementation of NVIDIA Graphics on macOS Monterey and Later. By following this guide, you'll be able to achieve full QE/CI on your system.

Overview

Apple has been supporting NVIDIA GPUs for a very long time and in fact, High Sierra was the latest macOS Operating System to support NVIDIA 100 Series Pascal GPUs. With the release of macOS Mojave, there is no Web Driver available which means GPUs that requires NVIDIA Web Drivers to work, will stop working from Mojave and later. Although, GPUs which don't require NVIDIA Web Drivers, such as Kepler, can work up to macOS Big Sur, without any issues. However, since the release of macOS Monterey, Apple has completely removed the support for NVIDIA Graphics Card and that means Cards requiring no Web Drivers will also stop working on macOS Monterey and later as the support is completely dropped.

To Enable NVIDIA WebDrivers on macOS Big Sur and Monterey

Requirements

GraphicsmacOS Compatible NVIDIA GPU, requiring no Web Drivers.
macOSmacOS Monterey and Later

Compatibility

For more information on GPU compatibility, refer to the thread linked below.

QUICK INFO:
  • For macOS Monterey 12.5 and later, use OpenCore Legacy Patcher v0.4.10 and newer.

STEP 1: Enable NVIDIA Graphics
If you have followed the NVIDIA Graphics Guide, you will not require this step. However, If you haven't, follow the guide linked below

STEP 2: Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP)
Before you start patching, the very first step is to disable SIP which will allow root patching on the target system. To disable SIP, follow the guide linked below.

STEP 3: Boot using the new configuration
Once you're done with STEP #1, you need to boot with the updated configuration. Simply restart your system. It is recommended to reset NVRAM twice.

STEP 4: Patch System Volume
To patch the system using OCLP, follow the steps below.

1. Download OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP) from the download section of this forum.
2. Open OCLP and you'll see something similar to the screenshot attached below.

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 9.44.03 AM-min.png

3. Click on Post Install Root Patch and you'll see something similar to the screenshot attached below.
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 9.44.10 AM-min.png

As you can see, the OCLP has automatically detected what patch to apply. If the SIP is enabled, you may notice a message stating "SIP is Enabled"

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 9.30.51 AM-min.png

If you notice that, make sure to disable it as described in STEP #1.
4. Click on Start Root Patching and you'll need to run OCLP as root. You'll see something similar to the screenshot attached below.
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 9.44.22 AM-min.png
5. Click on Yes to relaunch OCLP as root. When prompted, enter your system password. You'll see something similar to the screenshot attached below.
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 9.44.38 AM-min.png
Once the OCLP is launched as root, it will start patching the system volume.
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 9.45.20 AM-min.png

6. Once OCLP finishes patching the system volume, it will prompt to reboot.
7. Click on Reboot to restart your system.
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 10.11.16 AM-min.png

8. Boot back to your System and you'll notice that now NVIDIA Graphics has been enabled and as a result, the Dock would be transparent too.

NOTE:
  • The GPU must be installed on the target system.

Sample Attachment

NVIDIA GT 710 (Kepler) has been used as an example in this guide.

Last edited:
hello
can install Monterey on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU

hello

my laptop is

CPU = 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11370H @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz
RAM = 24.0 GB
GPU = Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU

hello
Yes, you can install and use it if the Laptop has a Comet Lake CPU (Max).
hello

my laptop is

CPU = 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11370H @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz
RAM = 24.0 GB
GPU = Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU
Unfortunately, Tiger Lake CPUs are not supported as the Graphics will not work.

can display this card and just work with another one Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics

can display this card and just work with another one Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics
It's unsupported and will not work.

i see
thank you

I have an i5-9600k and I just ordered a 1080ti. Will I be able to hackintosh on that configuration? If so, what is the latest version of macOS I would be able to use?
You can run High Sierra without any issues. However, there's experimental support for NVIDIA GPUs on macOS Big Sur and Monterey

Trending Threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanch.digital