• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

EliteMacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Supermicro X11SPA-T
CPU
Intel Xeon W-3275 28 Core
Graphics
2xAMD RX 580 8GB
OS X/macOS
13.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore (UEFI)
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
How To Remove WiFi Whitelist on Lenovo Thinkpad T440 and T440S

On certain Laptops, the manufacturers add a whitelist for the network card which not only prevents from adding any other network card but also creates issues such as not booting unless the laptop accepts the card. If on Windows, any compatible card can work but on OS X/macOS, only compatible cards can work. And if the card is replaced, due to the whitelist, it will prevent the Laptop to boot.

Two workarounds for this issue.
  • Flash a modded BIOS (Whitelist removed).
  • Downgrade the BIOS with no whitelist.

Method #1

The first method is really easy to follow and has no risk involved. If talking about the downgrading process, the Official BIOS installer will always have an issue if an updated BIOS has been flashed already on the Laptop. The workaround is there.

For this method, you don't need the test clip or the programmer or the modified BIOS.

The BIOS v2.36 has no whitelist and can be flashed in order to install the Broadcom Card without any issues.

1. Download the BIOS
2. Boot to Windows and run the installer. By default, the C drive location will be used.
3. Once completed, it will ask you to update and continue with that. But it will throw an error saying "BIOS image file does not match this system." which is just crap. It's because the new version is write-protected and cannot be downgraded with the official installer. The changelog states "If the UEFI BIOS has been updated to version 2.36 or higher, it is no longer able to roll back to the version before 2.36 for security improvement."
4. Do NOT close the warning message yet.
5. Go to C:\DRIVERS\FLASH\gjuj23us\, this is the location where the flash utility gets extracted if you used the default location.
6. Open Command Promot and run it as Administrator
7. Type
Code:
C:\DRIVERS\FLASH\gjuj23us\WinFlash64.exe /sd /file C:\DRIVERS\FLASH\gjuj23us\GJET86WW\$01DF000.FL1
8. The WinFlash64.exe file needs a BIOS file as an argument which is being done with the /sd /file options and it will initiate the flashing (downgrading) without any issue.

Method #2

The second method involves finding a modded BIOS with the whitelist removed and requires
  • CH341a Flash Programmer
  • SOIC8 Test Clip
WARNING: Method 2 is a bit risky if you don't follow the process carefully.

You'll need to get a Bios Dump and submit it to the forum: https://www.bios-mods.com and ask for a whitelist removed BIOS. Once you get the BIOS, erase the EPROM and write the new BIOS and you're all done.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddrum5
I have thinkpad t440 with an Intel Core i5-4300U and Intel HD Graphics 4400. After reading your post, I immediately checked my bios version, and found the version is 2.26, does this mean the bios version doesn't have a whitelist and can directly change the wifi card ?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,325
I have thinkpad t440 with an Intel Core i5-4300U and Intel HD Graphics 4400. After reading your post, I immediately checked my bios version, and found the version is 2.26, does this mean the bios version doesn't have a whitelist and can directly change the wifi card ?
Shouldn't be i guess. You can install the card and check. If it has, just flash v2.36. I've found v2.36 having no whitelist. I haven't checked the old versions.

Oi, tenho um Lenovo T440s, ele está com o High Sierra.

Comprei a WD1560 mas minha BIOS está na v.2.50, para fazer o downgrade para a 2.36 preciso colocar windows.

Pensei em tirar o SSD que está com o High Sierra e colocar um HD com windows para modificar a bios.

Será que perco minha instalação depois de modificar a BIOS? Tenho que instalar o High Sierra de novou, ou só colocando o SSD já funciona?

Hi, I have a Lenovo T440s, it has the High Sierra.

I bought the WD1560 but my BIOS is at v.2.50, to downgrade to 2.36 I need to put windows.

I thought to take the SSD that is with High Sierra and put a HD with windows to modify the bios.

Do I lose my installation after modifying the BIOS? Do I have to install High Sierra de novou, or just putting the SSD already works?

Oi, tenho um Lenovo T440s, ele está com o High Sierra.

Comprei a WD1560 mas minha BIOS está na v.2.50, para fazer o downgrade para a 2.36 preciso colocar windows.

Pensei em tirar o SSD que está com o High Sierra e colocar um HD com windows para modificar a bios.

Será que perco minha instalação depois de modificar a BIOS? Tenho que instalar o High Sierra de novou, ou só colocando o SSD já funciona?
English only.

Hi, I have a Lenovo T440s, it has the High Sierra.

I bought the WD1560 but my BIOS is at v.2.50, to downgrade to 2.36 I need to put windows.

I thought to take the SSD that is with High Sierra and put a HD with windows to modify the bios.

Do I lose my installation after modifying the BIOS? Do I have to install High Sierra de novou, or just putting the SSD already works?
The installation will not loose as the installation is done on another SSD. However, the BIOS may needs to be configured again.

The installation will not loose as the installation is done on another SSD. However, the BIOS may needs to be configured again.

Thanks!
sorry for the portuguese!

Reactions: EliteMacx86
I used your way to downgrade the bios version for my t440s thinkpad from 2.54 to 2.36,
but when I reboot, the screen shows "Safe Flash Authentication Failed" and it turns off automatically.
I made sure that "Secure Rollback Prevention" in the BIOS is disabled.

Trending Threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanch.digital