Bootloader
  1. Clover (UEFI)
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello,

I have got multiple issues here.

I recently bought a iMac 27" from Mid 2010. The person I bought it from told me that the logicboard was broken, but showed me the GPU that was taken out by an "expert".
My first question is how can I find out if it's just the GPU or the whole logicboard that's broken?

Next question:
I wanted to upgrade the iMac to Big Sur. I realize that I need a metal GPU. I had the HD 8970m in mind as it is an MXM size and the most recent I can get.
As far as I understood this from the guides it will be compatible, but I won't have a bootscreen etc as it is not an Applecard. So I need to flash it right? Is there a flash available for this card? Or are there better options?

Thanks in advance ✌🏻

(And if the thread is in the wrong space, please move it or tell me to do so, I am always a bit confused in forums 😅)

EliteMacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Supermicro X11SPA-T
CPU
Intel Xeon W-3275 28 Core
Graphics
2xAMD RX 580 8GB
OS X/macOS
11.0.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I recently bought a iMac 27" from Mid 2010. The person I bought it from told me that the logicboard was broken, but showed me the GPU that was taken out by an "expert".
My first question is how can I find out if it's just the GPU or the whole logicboard that's broken?
You can do a physical inspection of the logic board.
I wanted to upgrade the iMac to Big Sur. I realize that I need a metal GPU. I had the HD 8970m in mind as it is an MXM size and the most recent I can get.
As far as I understood this from the guides it will be compatible, but I won't have a bootscreen etc as it is not an Applecard. So I need to flash it right? Is there a flash available for this card? Or are there better options?
Yes, that's correct. The card needs to be flashed. A guide will be published very soon. Also, this will not boot Big Sur natively, you'll need to use OpenCore for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The7thOracle