QED

Motherboard
Apple Mac Pro Early 2008
CPU
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Graphics
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB (EVGA GeForce GTX 680 waiting in box)
OS X/macOS
10.12.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I appreciate your very detailed walk through, however I have a similar question to one asked previously, but not quite answered:

Are any of the steps in this process non-reversible?

I have a 2008 MacPro (new to me) that I am in the process of trying to bring up date (as close as I can get) but would like the option to boot to any of the previous OS versions. (I am clean installing each OS on a separate, empty, 500Gb hard drive, such that I can physically swap them to get back to a previous, clean OS.) I am unclear if any of your process is actually updating firmware (which I assume is not reversible) or just changing boot-time software that would simply not be there after swapping the drive back to the previous one. (Note that I have not yet installed OpenCore; just considering it.)

Hopefully this is not too stupid of a question. I have had many macs, but this is the first foray beyond the officially supported path. I am trying to weigh the risks to my shiny "new" classic mac pro.

EliteMacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Supermicro X11SPA-T
CPU
Intel Xeon W-3275 28 Core
Graphics
2xAMD RX 580 8GB
OS X/macOS
11.0.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I appreciate your very detailed walk through, however I have a similar question to one asked previously, but not quite answered:

Are any of the steps in this process non-reversible?

I have a 2008 MacPro (new to me) that I am in the process of trying to bring up date (as close as I can get) but would like the option to boot to any of the previous OS versions. (I am clean installing each OS on a separate, empty, 500Gb hard drive, such that I can physically swap them to get back to a previous, clean OS.) I am unclear if any of your process is actually updating firmware (which I assume is not reversible) or just changing boot-time software that would simply not be there after swapping the drive back to the previous one. (Note that I have not yet installed OpenCore; just considering it.)

Hopefully this is not too stupid of a question. I have had many macs, but this is the first foray beyond the officially supported path. I am trying to weigh the risks to my shiny "new" classic mac pro.
This guide does not involve any firmware flashing or upgrade.