• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

EliteMacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Supermicro X11SPA-T
CPU
Intel Xeon W-3275 28 Core
Graphics
2xAMD RX 580 8GB
OS X/macOS
13.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore (UEFI)
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
How to Fix NVIDIA Web Drivers Loading issues

This is a guide to fix the issues when you try to install NVIDIA Drivers. This guide covers troubleshooting the issues that may occur during installation or after installation of NVIDIA Web Drivers.

This guide will cover the basics on why the driver can’t be installed, why drivers don't load even after the installation, and what to do when booting results in a black screen after the drivers are installed.

Mac OS X Version is not compatible

For each version of the macOS, there is a specific web driver that can only be installed on that particular version of the macOS so if you try to install a web driver on an unsupported version of macOS you will be prompted with a window that simply says that you cannot install current Nvidia Web Driver on the version of macOS that you are using.

The issue is very easy to fix. All you need to do is to find the current build number of the macOS that you are using and download and install the correct drivers.

If you don’t know how to find the build number of the macOS, simply open “About This Mac” from the Apple menu on the top left side of the main menu bar, and when the System Profiler window appeared click on the version of the macOS and you will see the build number all you need to do now is to download the correct the web driver accordingly.
macOS High Sierra.png
The drivers are available for download in the download section of this forum but, I'll mention the main categories link here.

For High Sierra 10.13.x
List of all Nvidia Web Drivers for macOS High Sierra

For Sierra 10.12.x
List of all nVidia Web Drivers for macOS Sierra

For El Capitan 10.11.x
List of all nVidia Web Drivers for Mac OS X El Capitan

The Black screen issue

There are several SMBIOS definitions which will result to a black screen after installing Web Drivers.

The following SMBIOS definitions need some additional work to be done to resolve the black screen issue:

MacPro 6,1/iMac 15.x or iMac17,1 SMBIOS.

1. Using Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext (formerly know as nVidiaGraphicsFixUp.kext)

Using Lilu.lext and WhateverGreen.kext will solve the black screen issue on many AMD and Nvidia GPUs so it’s so easy to avoid the black screen if you use these kext files. All you need to do is to download Lilu and WhateverGreen kext which are available in the downloads sections and add them to your ESP. If you're using OpenCore, you'll also need to add the entry of the kexts respectively. This method is highly recommended.

2. Using Clover to patch the board-id in the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext
Using the Clover’s on the fly patch for changing the board-id check which will result in the black screen if you use MacPro 6,1/iMac 15.x or iMac17,1 SMBIOS.

The patch that will resolve this issue is described bellow:
Code:
Name: com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy
Find: BA050000 00
Replace: BA000000 00
Comment: Disable board-id check to prevent no signal. credits: lvs1974, Pike R. Alpha, vit9696

3. Using the AGDPfix.app to patch the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext
If you are going to use this method please remember that after each major macOS update you need to re-patch the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext because it will be overwritten by macOS updates. This method will not for macOS Big Sur and Later unless R/W is enabled.

More information has been covered here : https://www.elitemacx86.com/threads...-imac-15-17-system-definition-nvidia-amd.212/

NVIDIA Web Driver switches to default OS X Drivers

The best way to resolve this issue is to use the NvidiawWeb flag in the config.plist under the “System Parameters”
This issue is a common issue with the users having a NVIDIA GPU. This issue is due to the non-working NVRAM or where the native NVRAM isn't available. To fix this issue, you'll need to have a working NVRAM or you can use EmuVariableUEFI.efi or use the AptioMemoryFix.efi which emulates the NVRAM.

If you are going to use AptioMemoryFix.efi you can remove EmuVariableUEFI.efi

Here’s how to install EmuVariableUEFI.efi

1. Download the Clover Bootloader. The package is available in the Downloads section
2. Open the installer
3. Select Customize
Clover customize.png
4. Depending on your system type, either UEFI or Legacy, select the installation type.
5. In Drivers64UEFI, select EmuVariableUEFI.efi to install.
Select Emuvariable64.png
6. Install the package.
7. Go to System Preferences
8. Go to NVIDIA Driver Manager
9. Click on the lock button and enter your password
NVIDIA Driver Manager.png
10. Go to the Graphics Drivers tab
11. Select NVIDIA Driver
12. It will ask for a reboot.
13. Confirm the reboot and check. The issues should be fixed.

If this doesn't fix the issue, re run the Clover package and select Install RC Scripts on the target volume and proceed with the package installation.

Drivers are not working after OS X/macOS Updates
With each major macOS update, you need to update the Nvidia web drivers as well, download the compatible web driver for your macOS build and then install it after the macOS update.
If you need to uninstall the previous version of the web drivers follow these steps:

1. Open System Preferences
2. Go to NVIDIA Driver Manager
3. Click on the lock button and enter your password.
nvidia-driver-manager-png.864
4. Go to Updates tab
NVIDIA Driver Manager, Updates.png

5. Click on Open Uninstaller and continue with the uninstallation
NVIDIA Web Driver Uninstall.png

NOTES:
  • You might not be able to boot after uninstalling Web Drivers. Use nv_disable=1 to reach the desktop.

No Web Drivers available

You might encounter this issue if you've installed the most recent version of macOS and there are no updated Web Drivers available for the updated OS. Since the release of macOS Mojave, there are no Web Drivers released by NVIDIA and as a result, Cards requiring Web Drivers, will not work. For Cards which are supported natively, i.e works OOTB, will continue to work till Big Sur.

No acceleration on macOS Monterey and Later

Since the release of macOS Monterey, Apple dropped support for NVIDIA Graphics. A workaround is to use OCLP.

Attachments

• NVIDIA Web Driver Installation Completed .png
    NVIDIA Web Driver Installation Completed .png
    153 KB · Views: 11,664
Last edited:
Reactions: rBoLt168
Hi EliteMac,

It's me again on another thread. I apologize ahead as I am in the office now and i cannot generate the PR files.
I have A GT610 that works flawlessly in El Capitan, now I want to upgrade it to HS 10.13.6 it is not booting up with the web drivers installed and just putting up the spinning wheel of infinity. This is another setup not the same box as the HD4200 we are trying to solve on the other thread.

Steps done:
1) installed the latest CUDA.
2) installed the latest web drivers.
3) Clover config: ticked Web drivers / No nvidia inject.

In principle the CUDA and Web drivers should be enough already. Anything I missed?

Hi EliteMac,

It's me again on another thread. I apologize ahead as I am in the office now and i cannot generate the PR files.
I have A GT610 that works flawlessly in El Capitan, now I want to upgrade it to HS 10.13.6 it is not booting up with the web drivers installed and just putting up the spinning wheel of infinity. This is another setup not the same box as the HD4200 we are trying to solve on the other thread.

Steps done:
1) installed the latest CUDA.
2) installed the latest web drivers.
3) Clover config: ticked Web drivers / No nvidia inject.

In principle the CUDA and Web drivers should be enough already. Anything I missed?
One reason could be that you're missing EmuVariableUefi-64 in the drivers64UEFI folder. Another one can be the old NVIDIA Driver will not work on 10.13.6. You'll need to remove the old drivers and then install the correct NVIDIA drivers for 10.13.6
However, PR files are needed.

Installed the 64UEFI Drivers, CUDA & NV Drivers are the the latest already.
Also tried installing nvidiafix kext also on another instance lily+Whatevergreen with the same result.

PR files and latest verbose are attached. Cheers mate!

Attachments

• PR Vostro270 v1.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 446
  • IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 652
Last edited:
Reactions: bilela
Installed the 64UEFI Drivers, CUDA & NV Drivers are the the latest already.
Also tried installing nvidiafix kext also on another instance lily+Whatevergreen with the same result.

PR files and latest verbose are attached. Cheers mate!
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi and EmuVariableUefi-64.efi should not be used together. Choose one. NVIDIAGraphicsFixup is outdated. NVIDIAGraphicsFixup is merged in WEG.
Attach a kextcache output too.

AptioMemoryFix-64.efi and EmuVariableUefi-64.efi should not be used together. Choose one. NVIDIAGraphicsFixup is outdated. NVIDIAGraphicsFixup is merged in WEG.
Attach a kextcache output too.

Mate, thanks for your tips. I dropped this upgraded and rolled back to El Capitan. After uninstalling the AptioMemoryFix-64.efi the clover wont boot anymore. I reinstalled and tried to troubleshoot for a while then I just stopped it.

Mate, thanks for your tips. I dropped this upgraded and rolled back to El Capitan. After uninstalling the AptioMemoryFix-64.efi the clover wont boot anymore. I reinstalled and tried to troubleshoot for a while then I just stopped it.
Without AptioMemoryFix-64.ei or OSXAptioMemoryFix and the alternate drivers, it will not boot.

I suggest to backup your data and do a clean installation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katz331