OS X/macOS
12.0.x
Bootloader
  1. Clover (UEFI)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Mac added Signed System Volume (SSV) after Big Sur, you can disable it in recovery mode using follow command

csrutil authenticated-root disable

if SSV enabled, it will check file signature when boot system, and will refuse boot if you do any modify, also will cause create snapshot failed

this article describe it in detail

Reactions: AllertCron

EliteMacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Supermicro X11SPA-T
CPU
Intel Xeon W-3275 28 Core
Graphics
2xAMD RX 580 8GB
OS X/macOS
11.0.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Mac added Signed System Volume (SSV) after Big Sur, you can disable it in recovery mode using follow command

csrutil authenticated-root disable

if SSV enabled, it will check file signature when boot system, and will refuse boot if you do any modify, also will cause create snapshot failed

this article describe it in detail

Will test it soon and will update the guide accordingly. However, the guide works perfect for Hacks ;)

AllertCron

Motherboard
Apple iMac Pro
CPU
3,2 GHz Intel Xeon W
Graphics
Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB
OS X/macOS
12.0.x
Bootloader
  1. Clover (UEFI)
Mac
  1. iMac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi - since after my Corona quarantine I can't see the four walls of my home any longer I'm here @ work during those "inbetween days" and tried @reinstallsys's instructions.

Here are my results:

a) disabled authenticated-root with csrutil in recovery mode

b) re-booted the system

c) went through @EliteMacx86's walkthrough again (easy enough, since all the commands applied are stored in my terminal history).

d) still got this warning

com.apple.driver.KextExcludeList was not found!

e) snapshot creation by bless command this time finished without any error message

f) system boots up fine

☝️ STILL ☝️ the modifications I applied to the livemounted system partition had not been preserved (which were, as stated before, mode and order in which the content of root folder, system folder, library folder etc. are displayed).

Monterey still shows the content of the root folder in the order

[USERS] | [LIBRARY] | [APPLICATIONS] | [SYSTEM]

(I'd like to see them in that order: [SYSTEM] | [LIBRARY] | [APPLICATIONS] | [USERS] )

and with that darned side panel activated (which makes me feel like wanting to vomit every time I see it) and nothing I did with the live mounted root partition seems to be able to change anything about it.

😢

Last edited:

AllertCron

Motherboard
Apple iMac Pro
CPU
3,2 GHz Intel Xeon W
Graphics
Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB
OS X/macOS
12.0.x
Bootloader
  1. Clover (UEFI)
Mac
  1. iMac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I also tried the same procedure with the "root" account (after activating it) – same result.

I also tried (formely) to give my personal account "read / write access" to the root partiton - resulting in the message: "You don't have required privileges to perform this task..."

Now I tried to grant my account read / write privileges from the root account (which should be privileged to do every f§$king thing it wants to a system) – same result...

Now do I really have to live with a system looking like those bastards from  want it to look like (and not the way I'm used to it now since MacOS 10.1)? o_O

EliteMacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Supermicro X11SPA-T
CPU
Graphics
2xAMD RX 580 8GB
OS X/macOS
11.0.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
com.apple.driver.KextExcludeList was not found!
This can be ignored.
☝️ STILL ☝️ the modifications I applied to the livemounted system partition had not been preserved (which were, as stated before, mode and order in which the content of root folder, system folder, library folder etc. are displayed).
What modifications did you apply exactly?
I also tried the same procedure with the "root" account (after activating it) – same result.

I also tried (formely) to give my personal account "read / write access" to the root partiton - resulting in the message: "You don't have required privileges to perform this task..."

Now I tried to grant my account read / write privileges from the root account (which should be privileged to do every f§$king thing it wants to a system) – same result...

Now do I really have to live with a system looking like those bastards from  want it to look like (and not the way I'm used to it now since MacOS 10.1)? o_O
I also took a reference from Bigsurmicropatcher and that also does the same thing and I have got it to work on a MacPro 5,1.

AllertCron

Motherboard
Apple iMac Pro
CPU
3,2 GHz Intel Xeon W
Graphics
Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB
OS X/macOS
12.0.x
Bootloader
  1. Clover (UEFI)
Mac
  1. iMac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
What modifications did you apply exactly?

I described them: I'm used to have my root folder displayed in a certain order (as well as the content of the system and the library folder) - like this:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-30 um 13.24.19.png

...and not in the shitty way that seems to be locked on the SSV root partition:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-30 um 13.25.59.png

Re-arranging the icons and the way they are displayed (and attaching a window background to the folder) worked fine on the livemount partion (whatever you try to do with the *original* SSV partition is ignored anyway) – but after saving the snapshot and re-booting the system, all the changes were reset to what Apple wants the root folder to look like. :(

Last edited:

EliteMacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Supermicro X11SPA-T
CPU
Graphics
2xAMD RX 580 8GB
OS X/macOS
11.0.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I described them: I'm used to have my root folder displayed in a certain order (as well as the content of the system and the library folder) - like this:

View attachment 3930

...and not in the shitty way that seems to be locked on the SSV root partition:

View attachment 3932

Re-arranging the icons and the way they are displayed (and attaching a window background to the folder) worked fine on the livemount partion (whatever you try to do with the *original* SSV partition is ignored anyway) – but after saving the snapshot and re-booting the system, all the changes were reset to what Apple wants the root folder to look like. :(
I will be trying the new step posted by @reinstallsys this week. Just busy with several projects.

WrathOfThePast

Motherboard
Apple MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
CPU
i9-9980HK
Graphics
Radeon Pro 5500M, Red Devil Radeon RX 6900 XT Ultimate
OS X/macOS
12.0.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I tried this to modify two preexisting kexts in S/L/E. I made sure to disable authenticated-root and SIP (even had gatekeeper disabled). I was able to do the edits and rebuild the kernel cache, but upon restarting, I got stuck in a boot loop. I could enter macOS Recovery and power off, but was unable to get out of it without reinstalling macOS.

Before I did the reinstall, I noticed that there was two APFS system snapshots in Disk Utility from macOS Recovery. One was the standard system snapshot and the other was the blessed snapshot. Is it possible I didn't need to bless livemount because I only modified existing kernels, disabled authenticated-root, and/or on a genuine mac? If not, any other ideas on why I get stuck in a boot loop?

I attached a screenshot of
Bash:
diskutil list
to speedup the troubleshooting. Lastly, I did not experience any errors when running any of the terminal commands.
Some variants of the 6900 XT have a higher binned gpu called the Navi21 XTXH in contrast to the launch gpu, the Navi21 XTX. The only difference besides performance is the device-id: 73AF1002 for the XTXH versus 73BF1002 for the XTX. They even use the same drivers.

Apple added 6900 XT support in macOS 11.4, but failed to include the device-id for the XTXH gpu. In macOS 12.0.1, they added it to AMDRadeonX6000Framebuffer.kext/Contents/Info.plist, but have yet to add it to ~/Contents/Info.plist for AMDRadeonX6000.kext & AMDRadeonX6000HWServices.kext which is all that remains to bring support to macOS.

Previously, I attempted to use the Kryptonite bootloader (stripped down version of OpenCore for genuine macs with eGPUs) to do this modification in memory. Those with hackintoshes succeeded at doing this with OpenCore, but alas it didn't work for genuine macs even with the Kryptonite bootloader which is why I'm here now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 4.18.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 4.18.25 PM.png
    439.8 KB · Views: 9

EliteMacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Supermicro X11SPA-T
CPU
Graphics
2xAMD RX 580 8GB
OS X/macOS
11.0.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I tried this to modify two preexisting kexts in S/L/E. I made sure to disable authenticated-root and SIP (even had gatekeeper disabled). I was able to do the edits and rebuild the kernel cache, but upon restarting, I got stuck in a boot loop. I could enter macOS Recovery and power off, but was unable to get out of it without reinstalling macOS.

Before I did the reinstall, I noticed that there was two APFS system snapshots in Disk Utility from macOS Recovery. One was the standard system snapshot and the other was the blessed snapshot. Is it possible I didn't need to bless livemount because I only modified existing kernels, disabled authenticated-root, and/or on a genuine mac? If not, any other ideas on why I get stuck in a boot loop?

I attached a screenshot of
Bash:
diskutil list
to speedup the troubleshooting. Lastly, I did not experience any errors when running any of the terminal commands.
Some variants of the 6900 XT have a higher binned gpu called the Navi21 XTXH in contrast to the launch gpu, the Navi21 XTX. The only difference besides performance is the device-id: 73AF1002 for the XTXH versus 73BF1002 for the XTX. They even use the same drivers.

Apple added 6900 XT support in macOS 11.4, but failed to include the device-id for the XTXH gpu. In macOS 12.0.1, they added it to AMDRadeonX6000Framebuffer.kext/Contents/Info.plist, but have yet to add it to ~/Contents/Info.plist for AMDRadeonX6000.kext & AMDRadeonX6000HWServices.kext which is all that remains to bring support to macOS.

Previously, I attempted to use the Kryptonite bootloader (stripped down version of OpenCore for genuine macs with eGPUs) to do this modification in memory. Those with hackintoshes succeeded at doing this with OpenCore, but alas it didn't work for genuine macs even with the Kryptonite bootloader which is why I'm here now.
Yes, that's exactly what is happening as reported by other users too. I'll be taking a look at it soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmegaRed1723