How to Enable Password in OpenCore Boot PickerThis guide describes how to Enable Password in OpenCore Boot Picker. Starting from OpenCore 0.6.1, you can set an SHA-512 password to ensure security with the configuration. This will enable a password prompt whenever the following tasks are executed:
- Boot Menu
- Booting non-default OSes and tools(ie. not blessed by Startup Disk or Bootcamp Utility)
- Booting non-default modes(ie. Verbose or Safe Mode via hotkeys)
- Resetting NVRAM
ocpasswordgenwas added for generating the passwords.
To enable password in OpenCore Boot Picker, follow the steps below.
1. Download OpenCore Pkg.
ocpasswordgenfrom OpenCore 0.X.X RELEASE/Utilities/ocpasswordgen to your Desktop
3. Open ocpasswordgen
4. When prompted, enter your desired password and press enter key and it will generate the following
- PasswordHash: Hash of the password
- PasswordSalt: Ensures no other users with the same password do not have the same hash
6. Mount your ESP.
7. Open the config.plist using any XML editor.
Misc>Securitysection of your config.plist
9. Also, enable the
EnablePasswordoption in the same section
10. Save your config.plist
11. Restart your System. If you don't see the password prompt, reset NVRAM.