• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

How to Enable Intel WiFi and Bluetooth on macOS [Clover/OpenCore]

This guide describes how to enable Intel WiFi and Bluetooth on macOS using Clover and OpenCore. By following this guide, you'll be able to enable Intel WiFi and Bluetooth on your non-Apple computer running macOS using Clover or OpenCore bootloader.

Overview

Apple uses Broadcom WiFi/BT Cards on their Macs which works out of the box i.e. requires no additional driver or any sort of configuration. However, when it comes to non-Apple computers, most of the systems are equipped with Intel WiFi/BT module which isn't supported by Apple drivers yet. By default, these cards do not work under any macOS/OS X version except for Bluetooth, which is a hit or miss on some of the systems. Usually, Bluetooth works out of the box but lacks on and off functions and can have an invalid or no address on some systems.

However, with the efforts of some developers, a new project (OpenIntelWireless) was started and now it is possible to use Intel WiFi and Bluetooth on macOS. Some functions are still limited and may not work as expected. But for users who don't have the option to replace the stock card where the card is soldered (such as NUC or Notebooks) or if a user simply does not wish to replace the card for any reason and wants to have a limited experience, this can be an option. Please note that this is not the ideal solution if you want to have a full experience of WiFi and Bluetooth features like AirDrop, Handoff, and Continuity, we recommend you to install a compatible WiFi/BT Card (Broadcom) for full functionality.

Compatibility

Almost all Intel WiFi/BT modules are compatible with the third-party kext. Refer to the thread linked below for more information on Intel WiFi/BT compatibility.

Requirements

Following are the requirements for enabling Intel WiFi/BT on macOS. Please ensure you meet the requirements before proceeding with this guide.

WiFi/BT
  • Compatible Intel WiFi/BT
macOS
  • macOS High Sierra and Later (for WiFi)
Bootloader
  • Clover or OpenCore. Please ensure to use the latest version to avoid issues.
Kexts
  • Vanilla Network kexts in S/L/E

In addition, this guide assumes that you have already mapped your USB Ports and have set the Bluetooth as Internal (255). See Mapping USB Ports for more information.

STEP 1: Setup BIOS

The very first step is to set up BIOS to have the Intel WiFi/BT enabled on your system. This is because there are a few systems that have the option to Enable WiFi/BT in BIOS which affects the functionality under macOS/OS X.

1. On your target computer, boot to BIOS. Refer to your user manual for the BIOS Key
2. Enable WiFi/BT function.
3. Save & Exit Setup.

STEP 2: Verify the WiFi/BT Detection

The next step is to verify whether the installed card is being detected under macOS or not. This step is required in order to ensure you're on the right track and you're having the right card as per the compatibility list. If the Card is not detected, even following the guide correctly will not help to get it recognized. Therefore, you must verify the detection of the WiFi/BT module. To verify the WiFi/BT detection, follow the steps below.

1. Download Hackintool from the Download section.
2. Open Hackintool.
3. Locate your WiFi module under the PCIe section in Hackintool. The WiFi module is usually listed as Network Controller under the Class and Subclass column.

Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 6.30.27 AM-min.png
4. The BT can be verified in the Hackintool>USB section. In case, if you're unable to verify the BT using Hackintool, you can verify it from the System Report>Hardware>USB section.

Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 6.31.33 AM-min.png Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 6.41.40 AM-min.png
STEP 2: Add Required Kexts

The next step is to install the kexts in order to enable WiFi and Bluetooth.

I. WiFi

To enable WiFi support, you've two options.

KextsNotes
itlwm
  • Requires HeliPort, which acts as a WiFi Client for Intel WiFi.
  • Has no Continuity features support.
  • Works as Ethernet Interface.
  • itlwm.kext uses Apple's IOEthernet rather than IO80211.
  • Based on open-source resources, provides stable and faster performance, and the ability to unload on Kernels that use prelinked kernel
AirportItlwm
  • Works as a standalone kext.
  • Has Handoff and Universal Clipboard as Continuity features
  • Works as WiFi Interface.
  • AirportItlwm.kext uses Apple's IO80211Family.
  • It provides certain Airport features but lacks stability compared with itlwm.kext due to the ambiguity of reverse engineering

QUICK INFO:
  • Do not use itlwm.kext and AirportItlwm.kext together.
  • Never install Kernel Extensions into /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions.

Method #1: itlwm+HeliPort App
1. Download itlwm from the downloads section of this forum.
2. Mount your ESP.
3. Depending on your bootloader,

For Clover:
If you're using Clover, copy itlwm.kext to EFI/Clover/Kext/Others

For OpenCore:
If you're using OpenCore, copy itlwm.kext to EFI/OC/Kexts. You'll also need to add the kext entry in the Kernel section of your config.plist.

When choosing itlwm method, you'll also need to install HeliPort. HeliPort acts as a WiFi Client. To install HeliPort, follow the steps below.

1. Download HeliPort.dmg.
2. Mount the DMG.
3. Move HeliPort to the Applications folder.

NOTE:
  • When using itlwm+HeliPort method, the network adapter is identified as Ethernet instead of WiFi Adapter.

Method #2: AirportItlwm
1. Download AirportItlwm and Lilu from the downloads section of this forum.
2. Mount your ESP.
3. Depending on your bootloader,

For Clover:
If you're using Clover, copy AirportItlwm.kext to EFI/Clover/Kext/Others

For OpenCore:
If you're using OpenCore, copy AirportItlwm.kext to EFI/OC/Kexts. You'll also need to add the kext entries in the Kernel section of your config.plist.

NOTES:
  • Download the latest and stable version for better support and maximum stability.
  • If the kext is already present in the directory, replace them with a new version
  • AirportItlwm differs for each macOS version. Make sure you're using the kext according to your macOS version.

macOS Catalina and Prior

If you're using macOS Catalina and prior, you need to follow one of the following steps to load IO80211Family (level of recommendation decreases).
  • Enable Apple Secure Boot (Please read OpenCore's official manual).
  • Force IO80211Family to load. 「Supports OpenCore and Clover(not tested)」 (Read the Kernel - Force section in OpenCore's manual for more info).
  • Load AirportItlwm from Terminal (Continuity features may not work).

II. Bluetooth

To enable Bluetooth support, you'll need to add Intel Bluetooth kexts. To install the kexts, follow the steps below.

KextsNotes
IntelBluetoothInjector
  • Codeless kext that enables on-off switch on older versions of macOS.
  • Required for up to macOS Big Sur.
IntelBluetoothFirmware
  • Enables Firmware Upload to Bluetooth Device.
  • Sets the device's USB Host Controller name to Bluetooth USB Host Controller on Monterey and newer to bypass board-id check in bluetoothd and bluetool.
  • Required for all Intel WiFi/BT modules.
  • For macOS Monterey, v1.1.3 or later is required.
IntelBTPatcher
  • Fixes several Bluetooth bugs for Intel Bluetooth on macOS.
  • On Monterey and newer, this provides a workaround for a bug in bluetoothd by initializing the Bluetooth module properly before attempting a LE scan.
  • Prior to Monterey, this provides a workaround for a bug in the IOBluetoothHostController that prevents certain Bluetooth 4.X devices from connecting.
  • This kext requires Lilu to function.
BlueToolFixup
  • Required for Broadcom and Intel Bluetooth
  • For macOS 12 (Monterey) and Later
  • Do not use it with BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext and IntelBluetoothInjector.kext
  • This kext requires Lilu.kext to function.

1. Download the kexts according to your macOS version from the downloads section of this forum.
2. Assuming the ESP is still mounted:

For Clover:
If you're using Clover, copy the appropriate kexts to EFI/Clover/Kext/Others directory.

For OpenCore:
If you're using OpenCore, copy the kexts to EFI/OC/Kexts directory. You'll also need to add the kext entries in the Kernel section of your config.plist.

3. Save your config.plist.

NOTES:
  • Download the latest version for better support.
  • BlueToolFixup can be obtained from BrcmPatchRAM.zip from Acidanthera.
  • If the kext is already present in the directory, replace them with a new version
  • None of the Intel Bluetooth Kexts implement any part of the Bluetooth Stack, hence they are not considered as drivers. They do not handle HCI commands, device pairing, and any feature other than uploading the firmware and preparing the device. The core part of Bluetooth is handled by Apple's drivers which only provide limited compatibility.

STEP 3: Restart your System

After performing all the above steps, restart your system for the applied changes to take effect.

You can see a WiFi icon in the menu bar now. If not, you can enable it from System Preferences>Network>WiFi>Show Wi-Fi status in the menu bar. For itlwm users using HeliPort, launch HeliPort from the Applications folder.

If you don't see the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar, you can enable it from System Prerences>Bluetooth>Show Bluetooth in the menu bar.

NOTE: See itlwm Boot Arguments for a list of supported boot arguments.

Verifying WiFi and Bluetooth

The next step is to verify whether the WiFi and Bluetooth Device is working or not. Follow the steps below to verify the WiFi and Bluetooth Functions.

System Report
  • Verify the Bluetooth details (Address, Firmware Version) in About This Mac>System Report>Bluetooth
Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 9.35.27 AM-min.png
  • Verify the Bluetooth USB Host Controller in About This Mac>System Report>USB
Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 6.32.52 AM-min.png
  • Verify the WiFi Interface in About This Mac>System Report>Wi-Fi
Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 6.31.55 AM-min.png

System Preferences
  • Verify Bluetooth discoverability in System Preferences>Bluetooth

Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 9.35.16 AM-min.png

Menubar
  • Verify connected Bluetooth Devices
Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 9.35.44 AM-min.png

System Preferences
  • Verify the WiFi connection in System Preferences>Network
Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 6.32.20 AM-min.png
Menubar
  • Verify the network details such as signal strength and channel using the Alt key.

Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 6.36.52 AM-min.png
Hackintool
  • Verify WiFi and Bluetooth Firmware Loading in Hackintool>System>Peripherals
Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 9.31.08 AM-min.png
IOReg
  • Verify AirportItlwm is loading in IOReg
Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 9.21.29 PM-min.png
  • Verify IntelBluetoothFirmware is loading in IOReg. You can find the IntelBluetoothFirmware under one of the HSXX ports under XHC.
Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 9.23.29 PM-min.png

Recommended Configuration

The following configurations are the only valid configurations for Intel WiFi/BT. Anything else is likely wrong and should not be used.

WiFi

Target OSKext Configuration¹Kext Configuration²Kext Location
macOS High Sierra (10.13.x) - macOS Sonoma (14.x)
  • itlwm.kext
  • AirportItlwm.kext
  • EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Others or EFI/OC/Kexts

NOTES:
  • Choose one of the configurations, never both.
  • When you use Configuration¹, you must use HeliPort to connect to a WiFi network.
  • Configuration² is the preferred configuration and highly recommended.

Bluetooth

Target OSKext ConfigurationKext Install Location
macOS Big Sur (11.x) and Prior
  • IntelBluetoothInjector.kext
  • IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext
  • IntelBTPatcher.kext
macOS Monterey (12.x) and Later
  • IntelBTPatcher.kext
  • BlueToolFixup.kext

NOTES:
  • Choose one of the configurations depending on the macOS version, never both.

Last edited:
Good night to every body i've a question.....i don' undertand hoew do that part of the guide.....

You'll also need to add the kext entries in Kernel section of your config.plist.

Somebody could explain to me? I've catalina 10.15.5

Thank a lot

Good night to every body i've a question.....i don' undertand hoew do that part of the guide.....

You'll also need to add the kext entries in Kernel section of your config.plist.

Somebody could explain to me? I've catalina 10.15.5

Thank a lot
The entries means adding kexts to your OpenCore config.plist. The guide will be updated soon.

Last edited:

How to Enable Intel WiFi on macOS [Clover/OpenCore]

An EliteMacx86 Exclusive Guide - This guide covers implementation of Intel WiFi on macOS using Clover and OpenCore.

Overview

There are several Broadcom WiFi cards which works OOTB. However, there are few cards which are fully supported but you need to use an injector kext to enable the WiFi.

Compatibility

For more information on Broadcom WiFi compatibility, refer to the thread linked below.

Requirements

WiFi HardwareSupported Intel WiFi
Network KextsOriginal Network kexts in S/L/E
macOS VersionmacOS Mojave and Later

Adding required kext

To enable the WiFi support, you've two options

KextsNotes
itlwm
  • Requires HeliPort, acts as a WiFi Client for Intel WiFi.
  • Has no AirDrop or Handoff support.
  • Works as Ethernet Interface.
AirportItlwm
  • Works as standalone kext.
  • Has AirDrop and Handoff support.
  • Works as WiFi Interface.

The next step is to download the required kexts to enable WiFi support.

For itlwm

For Clover:

If you're using Clover, copy itlwm.kext to EFI/Clover/Kext/Others

For OpenCore:
If you're using OpenCore, copy itlwm.kext to EFI/OC/Kexts. You'll also need to add the kext entries in Kernel section of your config.plist.

When going with itlwm, you'll also need to install HeliPort. To install HeliPort, follow the steps below.

Download HeliPort.dmg.
Mount the DMG.
Move HeliPort to Applications folder.

For AirportItlwm

For Clover:

If you're using Clover, copy AirportItlwm to EFI/Clover/Kext/Others

For OpenCore:
If you're using OpenCore, copy AirportItlwm to EFI/OC/Kexts. You'll also need to add the kext entries in Kernel section of your config.plist.

Restart your System

After performing all the above steps, restart your system for the applied changes to take effect.
You can see a WiFi icon in the menu bar now. If not, you can enable it from System Preferences>Network>WiFi>Show Wi-Fi status in menu bar.

Note:
For itlwm, you'll need to use HeliPort as a WiFi client to connect.
I get a massage for itlwm.kext "itlwm is not running after system boot "Can somebody help to get it work?

I get a massage for itlwm.kext "itlwm is not running after system boot "Can somebody help to get it work?
Use AirportItlwm method

Hope new update fix aidrop funtion for intel card
Do u know what boot-arg to change location of wifi channel?

hi i followed this guide i have both airportitlwm and these ime on macOS Sonoma 14.1.1 but no WIFI nor Bluetooth working also my ic2 trackpad dosent work nor does my battery for my laptop
wifi specs intel wifi 6 ax200
laptop asus notebook pc M513Ia
amd ryzen 5 4500u
attached is my EFI https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ahi5MLTd1jf1guFotJT8iMH1ywIwSQ?e=nABYqB
  • IntelBTPatcher.kext
  • BlueToolFixup.kext

Attachments

• AirportItlwm-Sonoma-v2.3.0-DEBUG-alpha-ff1138b_3.zip
    14.4 MB · Views: 16
my ic2 trackpad dosent work nor does my battery for my laptop
Create a separate thread.

Incomplete PR Files attached. IOReg and Hackintool PCIe Info is missing.

salut, j'ai suivi ce guide, j'ai à la fois l'aéroportitlwm et ces ime sur macOS Sonoma 14.1.1 mais pas de WIFI ni de Bluetooth qui fonctionnent également, mon trackpad ic2 ne fonctionne pas et ma batterie pour mon ordinateur portable
spécifications wifi intel wifi 6 ax200
ordinateur portable asus ordinateur portable M513Ia
amd ryzen 5 4500u
ci-joint mon EFI https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ahi5MLTd1jf1guFotJT8iMH1ywIwSQ?e=nABYqB
  • IntelBTPatcher.kext
  • BlueToolFixup.kext

copie this folder

Attachments

• efi:Kext.zip
    6.7 KB · Views: 27

Trending Threads