- Jul 22, 2018
- Supermicro X11SPA-T
- Intel Xeon W-3275 28 Core
- 2xAMD RX 580 8GB
- OS X/macOS
- MacBook Pro
- Mobile Phone
ASUS VivoBook X510UA - Intel Core i3-7100U - 4GB RAM - Intel HD Graphics 620This is a complete installation guide to install macOS Mojave 10.14 on ASUS VivoBook X510UA. The purpose of this guide is to provide a step-by-step guide to install Mojave using Clover UEFI.
Laptop: ASUS VivoBook X510UA CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2400MHz IGPU: Intel HD Graphics 620 HDD: Seagate ST1000LM035 1TB Audio: Conexant CX8050 Display: 15.6" AH-IPS (1920x1080) (Made by LG) Wireless/Bluetooth: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 (Unsupported), replaced with Broadcom BCM94352Z, NGFF, M.2, A+E Key Type Trackpad: ELAN 1300 I2C Trackpad Camera: VGA Camera (Chicony Electronics Ltd.) Ports: 1 x Type-C USB 3.0 (USB 3.1 Gen 1) | 1 x USB 3.0 (Type A) | 1 x USB 3.0 | 2 x USB 2.0 | 1 x HDMI | 1 x SD Card slot | 1 x 3.5mm audio combo jack Fingerprint: 1 x Fingerprint reader
- Audio ✔
- Graphics ✔
- HDMI Video+HDMI Audio ✔
- Keyboard ✔
- Trackpad (With Gestures) ✔
- Brightness ✔
- Brightness Hotkeys ✔
- Power Management ✔
- iMessage ✔
- FaceTime ✔
- iCloud ✔
- USB 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 and USB Type-C Ports ✔
- Card Reader ✔
To create a Bootable media for High Sierra, follow the steps below.
1. Insert your USB Flash Drive and open Disk Utility. The Disk Utility is located at /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
2. Select your USB Flash Drive in the left pane and click on Erase button, at top.
3. A pop-up will appear.
4. Under Name type USB
5. Under Format select Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)
6. Under Scheme select GUID Partition Map, and click on Erase.
7. When done, click on Done.
8. Launch terminal, located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.
9. Copy and paste the following sudo command in terminal.
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB
11. Press (Y) to confirm and then press enter key and it will start to erase the disk and will create macOS Bootable USB.
Once the process completes, close the terminal. The USB Flash Drive will be renamed as Install macOS High Sierra
- At this point, the bootable USB can be only used to boot Mac only. In order to boot the computer using the USB, follow the steps below.
Install Clover Bootloader
The next step is to install the Clover Bootloader to your USB Flash Drive.
1. Download Clover EFI Bootloader.
2. Extract the Clover EFI bootloader installer package and right click on the .pkg file and select Open
3. By default, the Clover Bootloader will select the system drive i.e Macintosh HD. Simply click on Change Install Location and select your installation Drive i.e Install macOS High Sierra.
4. Click on Customize and configure the following settings.
- Install Clover for UEFI booting only
- Install Clover in the ESP
- Themes: BGM
- Drivers64UEFI: AptioMemoryFix-64 and ApsDriverLoader-64
6. Confirm the above options and click on Install. When promoted, enter your password. The clover bootloader will be installed to your installation drive.
7. Once done, simply click on Close
After installing the Clover bootloader, the EFI partition should be mounted on your Desktop.
- You need one additional drivers. HFSPlus.efi
- Without HFSPlus, you won't be able to see any HFS+ volumes including your installation drive.
Now you’ve successfully installed clover and the required drivers on your USB.
Placing required kexts
In order to boot into the installation, you need to place the necessary kexts. Follow the guide below to place the necessary kexts.
Navigate to: EFI/CLOVER/kexts/
Remove all the folders, 10.x, except 'Other'.
- FakeSMC.kext : https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-FakeSMC-kozlek
- VoodooPS2Controller.kext : https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller
- USBInjectAll.kext : https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-USB-Inject-All
- Lilu.kext: https://github.com/acidanthera/Lilu
- WhateverGreen.kext: https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen
- Do not download the project files. The pre-built binaries/downloads are available in the README.md section. Make sure you read it carefully.
- Download the latest version for better support.
- Use the kext from Release folder and Release.zip file.
Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and place all the 5 kexts (FakeSMC.kext, VoodPS2Controller.kext and USBInjectAll.kext, Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext)
Preparing Post Installation Tools
The next step is to place the required tools, kexts to the another Flash Drive which will help you in the post installation.
1. Insert your another USB
2. Format the USB with the following parameters
Under Name type Post Install
Under Format select Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)
Under Scheme select GUID Partition Map, and click on Erase.
When done, click on Done.
3. Copy the important tools such as DPCIManager, Clover Configurator, IOReg, MaciASL.
When done, simply eject your second Flash Drive.
Copy the Config.plist
Get the config.plist from Rehabman Github repo: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config
1. Download the config.plist file from the above link.
2. Copy config_HD5300_5500_6000.plist
3. Place it at : EFI/Clover
4. Rename it to config.plist.
5. Open your config.plist using Clover Configurator.
6. Add the following parameters
7. -v in boot args.
8. Navigate to Devices Tab
9. Delete all the values in Add Properties
10. At bottom, delete all the properties values.
11. Navigate to Graphics Tab
12. Uncheck Inject ATI and Inject NVIDIA.
13. Under ig-platform id, type 0x12345678
14. Save your config.plist file
To access your BIOS/UEFI, press and hold Delete key on your Keyboard and then set the following.
- Set Optimal Defaults.
- Set Legacy Option ROMs to Enabled.
- Exit Saving Changes.
Follow the steps below for the installation.
1. Turn on your PC
2. Press F12 to enter boot menu.
3. Select your USB Flash Drive with the UEFI prefix and press enter to boot.
4. When at Clover screen, select Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Mojave.
5. It will take couple of minutes to boot into installer screen. Once you reach the installer, select your preferred language and continue.
6. For a fresh installation, you must erase the drive you wish to install on. Follow the steps below to erase the destination drive.
7. On top, click on Utilities and then select Disk Utility.
8. When at Disk Utility, click on View and select Show all Devices.
9. Now select the SSD.
10. Make sure that you don’t select partition, select the Drive and click on Erase button.
Under Name type Macintosh HD.
Under Format select APFS.
Under Scheme select GUID Partition Map, and click on erase button.
Close Disk Utility
11. Select Install macOS and continue with the options.
12. Now select Macintosh HD and click on Install.
13. Upon completion, the system will automatically restart. The system may restart few times to complete the installation.
14. If the system restarts, select Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD.
15. After installation, boot it using USB, but this time select Macintosh HD.
16. The first boot maybe slower as the caches are not build yet. Once the caches are built, it will boot normally.
17. When you're at the welcome screen, continue with the basics options such as Keyboard setup, Network, Computer Account and Privacy settings.
Now the installation is complete, but the drive isn't bootable yet. You need to configure the Post Installation
Now, configuring the Post Installation
The post installation is required to achieve the fully system functionality.
Typically, the post installation includes enabling boot from the system drive, Graphics, Network, Audio, HDMI Audio, Trackpad, Brightness, Keyboard remap and USB.
Boot from System Drive
This is one of the most important part as it allows to boot it using the system drive without any need of installation USB.
Mount the EFI Partition.
Be sure to mount both the EFI partitions of your Hard Drive and Mojave Bootable USB. Both the EFI partition of your Hard Drive and USB Flash Drive will be mounted on your Desktop.
Assuming that you’ve mounted your EFI Partition, continue the following.
1. Open your EFI Partition of your Hard Drive.
2. Select EFI folder and then move to Trash.
3. Now open your EFI Partition of your macOS Sierra Bootable USB.
4. Now copy the EFI folder to your EFI Partition of your Hard Drive.
By using this method, You’ll able to install Clover Bootloader automatically to your Hard Drive.
This Laptop has Intel HD Graphics 620. Graphics works OOTB without any issue. The correct VRAM is recognised and works with Full QE/CI.
The Laptop does not have any built-in Ethernet port. The Laptop uses a Broadcom BCM94352Z WiFi module. To activate WiFi and Bluetooth, follow the steps below.
DSDT and SSDT Patching
For the DSDT and SSDT patching, i prefer full patched set of DSDT and SSDT. Follow the DSDT and SSDT patching guide: https://www.elitemacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-patch-laptop-dsdt-and-ssdts.178/
Using the guides, patch all of your DSDT and SSDT.
- Layout id = 3 (0x03)
- Rename GFX0 to IGPU
- Fix _WAK Arg0 v2
- HPET Fix
- SMBUS Fix
- IRQ Fix
- RTC Fix
- OS Check Fix
- Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel
- USB3_PRW 0x6D Skylake (instant wake)
- ASUS N55SL/VivoBook
The DSDT will have 1 errors in total
View attachment 1268
Find the line 290 and delete it.
For activating keyboard Brightness/Backlight keys
For activating the keyboard Brightness hotkeys, ASUSFnBKeys and a DSDT patch is required. For more information, read here: https://www.elitemacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-remap-brightness-hotkeys-on-laptop.183/
- Rename GFX0 to IGPU
- Cleanup/Fix Errors (SSDT)
- Remove _PSS placeholders
View attachment 1269
Use "Cleanup/Fix Errors (SSDT)" patch to fix this error.
Place all the patches DSDT and SSDTs to : EFI/ACPI/Patched.
1. Open your config.plist
2. Check "Drop OEM"
3. Under Sorted Order, list all of your DSDT and SSDTs.
The SSDT (SSDT-PNLF.aml) should be added at last.
For activating the Brightness, read here: https://www.elitemacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-enable-backlight-control-on-laptop.182/
The motherboard uses a Conexant CX8050 Audio Codec.
There are several ways to activate audio. I'm using AppleHDA to enable audio on this build.
To patch AppleHDA for this Audio Codec on your own, read here: https://www.elitemacx86.com/threads/a-beginners-guide-how-to-patch-applehda-for-laptops.184/
1. Install the kext to S/L/E
2. Open your config.plist
3. Under Acpi patches, add the following patch
Comment: Rename HDAS to HDEF Find* [HEX]: 48444153 Replace [HEX]: 48444546
5. Check "ResetHDA"
6. Navigate to Kernel and Kext Patches and add the following patch in KextToPatch section.
Name: AppleHDA Find* [HEX]: 8B19D411 Replace* [HEX]: 721FF114 Comment: Patching 11d4198b with 14f11f72 codec
- With this Audio Codec, you'll have a audio distortion when using Headphones. This can be fixed easily. For more information, read here: https://www.elitemacx86.com/threads/fix-audio-distortion-when-using-headphones-on-laptops.185/
- Also, you'll loose audio after sleep/wake function. It's normal and easy to fix. For more information, read here: https://www.elitemacx86.com/threads/fix-no-audio-after-sleep-wake-function.102/
1. Open your config.plist
2. Navigate to Text Mode
3. Find the Devices properties line i.e 255
4. Uncomment "#" from Device Properties
- Use layout id=3 only. If you use any other layout, no Audio output will be there
The Trackpad is a I2C Trackpad. The trackpad doesn't works straight. For more information, read here: https://voodooi2c.github.io/
Using VoodooI2C, the gestures works and the Multitouch also works.
The battery meter doesn't works out of the box. You'll need to install ACPIBatteryManager.
1. Download ACPIBatteryManager
2. Install the kext from the Release folder to S/L/E
The CPU power management works OOTB. For more information, read here: https://www.elitemacx86.com/threads/guide-enable-native-power-management-on-laptops.187/
The stock card has been replaced with Broadcom BCM94352Z. To activate the WiFi and Bluetooth, you'll need to install some kexts and add some patches. For more information, read here:
The ports works OOTB. All the USB ports are activated by default. But you'll need to add the port limit patch
Add USB port limit patch
1. Mount your EFI Partition
2. Open your config.plist file using Clover Configurator
3. Navigate to kernel and kext patches tab and add the following patch in your config.plist.
Name: com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI Find* [HEX]: 837D880F 0F83A704 0000 Replace* [HEX]: 837D880F 90909090 9090 Comment: USB 10.13.6 by PMHeart MatchOS: 10.13.6
4. Save your config.plist file
Restart your Laptop
After completing the post installation, restart your laptop.
App Store, iMessage, FaceTime, and iCloud
1. Mount your EFI partition
2. Open your config.plist
3. Navigate to SMBIOS Tab
4. Generate a new SMBIOS for "MacBook Pro14,1"
5. Save your config.plist
6. Restart your laptop
7. Login into App Store, iMessage, FaceTime and iCloud.
You should have all the functions as stated above.